Monday, February 20, 2012

Quiet Waters

“The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.” Psalm 23:1-3

There’s a quote that I ran across the other day that I thought was so true. It stated, “Babies don’t come with directions on the back or batteries that can be removed. Motherhood is twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. You can’t “leave the office.” Hmmm, I love my kids very much…sometimes so much it hurts because I feel so responsible and so vulnerable at the same time. After all, I can only control so much. I have to commit my kids to God each day. I need to let my mind rest even if my body can’t yet. I need God to lead me beside still waters.

In “The Bathtub is Overflowing but I feel Drained: How to Deal with Mommy Stress” by Lysa TerKeurst ( a book I highly recommend), she tells a funny story about her dog named Champ and his tendency to run away…over and over and over again. She humorously states that while their little Jack Russell terrier loved them, he loved to run away even more. He simply “had no idea of the dangers of speeding cars, poisons that can be found in many garages and bigger dogs who would eat him for lunch.” Lysa lived on 12 acres of land at the time so she could not get a fence and she thought shock collar fences were very cruel…until he ran away for the umpteenth time and could not find his way home. She eventually ended up investing in an “invisible fence”—something she once abhorred. (As a side note, I think many moms start off feeling this way about spanking (NOT BEATING, slapping, or smacking—that is wrong), until their little one gets out of hand. I would argue that this should also be done in love and not overused, but there is definitely a time when the threat of momentary, slight physical pain can save your kids life. They may not remember all the good reasons why they should not run into the street, but maybe a little healthy fear of punishment will keep them out of it. Anyway, that lesson is for another day!)

What I really want to emphasize is Lysa’s point that just like her Champ, we too need to set boundaries as moms—for our kids, BUT also for ourselves. Perhaps she says it best:

“The demands on mothers seem to be never ending, but even the best athletes require a time-out every now and then. So do we. Whether we lean more toward being a slacker mom, supermom, or realistic mom, the reality is we need to give ourselves permission to stop being a mom for a while and just be a woman…a wife…a friend. I can’t tell you how many moms I’ve met who pride themselves on having never left their children for any reason. They put everything on the back burner in the name of being mom extraordinaire…If you don’t take care of yourself, and give yourself permission to get refreshed and refilled, don’t be surprised when you constantly feel drained and secretly resentful of your family.”

Lysa has so many other good points about a myriad of topics, and I would encourage you to get this book…especially for the “Refresh my Soul” scripture and devotional section at the end of each chapter, but I really want to harp on this idea of rest, quiet waters for moms. I went out for a mom’s night this past Saturday with a few of my girlfriends. We talked, laughed, ate good food, and listened to music. We had a great time! It was just what I needed…to simply be a friend and have friends without kids around, knowing that my husband was capable to watch our kids…even if he doesn’t do things exactly like me.

I would encourage you to first and foremost, be aggressive about your quiet time with the Lord—nothing can take the place of that time. Only God can fill the impression of your heart that he left when he made you. BUT after that, plan a little time to get away with your hubby or your friends…or just yourself and enjoy being a wife…a friend…a woman. Here’s the real challenge, try to make your escape somewhat regularly (once a week, twice a month, etc.). :)

Prayer:
Dear Father,
How we yearn to be more like you! You model the perfect balance for us. You created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. Please help us to have a healthy balance of rest and work so that we do not become so consumed with cares of this life that we feel exasperated. Lord, we need alone time with you to hear your still, small voice. Thank you that you are always speaking to us. Please help us to take time to listen. Lead us beside your still waters and restore our souls for your name’s sake.
In Jesus’ name I pray,
Amen.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy burdened, and I will give your rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Very true and much needed!!! Thank you for your words of wisdom and it was wonderful having a great night out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete