Thursday, February 23, 2012

Outburst

“You little brats get out of here! Take these baskets and do not come back until they are full!” This was what Hansel and Gretal’s mom yelled as she sent them out the door, into the forest where they came upon the witch’s house.

What a terrible thing for a loving mother to say to her children. As I watched this movie with my kids the other day this is what I thought, but I also could feel the pain that the mother was in and understand her outburst. She was so stressed. Her family was out of food and the little bit they did have was ruined. Although it was an accident, all the mother could think of was where the next meal would come from. This had been going on so long and the stress was so high she just exploded. It wasn’t that she didn’t love her children but in her anger she sinned and that sin hurt those she loved most.

“In your anger do not sin.” Ephesians 4:26

When we are stressed, hungry, tired, or sick, and we behave in a way that is contrary to our regular behavior, we have a tendency of apologizing and adding an “I am just so ______" (you fill in the blank). I heard a sermon once where the pastor said, "that which you are apologizing for is the 'real' you." That statement made me look at myself a little differently after one of those outbursts. I saw the need for a heart change.

What I saw was that these outburst occurred most not because of sickness, hunger, stress or tiredness, yes they were factors, but the real reason was because I was not getting my way. Whether it was the kids not listening or unmet expectations it all came back to selfishness. I wanted it my way, NOW!

It has been several years since I heard that sermon and since I prayed that God would help me with that heart change. I can tell you that there is improvement but I am not yet outburst free. My plan: to continue to store up good in my heart and pray.

Luke 6:45 "A good man from the good stored up in his heart brings out what is good; and an evil man from the evil stored up brings out what is evil; for from the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Courtney! I am always and forever working on this one!

    ReplyDelete