Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Every Opportunity

I was reminded tonight as I lay with my boys that I need to appreciate the time God has given me with them and to take every opportunity to show them they are loved. As they both drifted off to sleep, Cooper curled into me, images of him as a baby came to mind. This happens often, but my emotions got the better of me this time and I could feel the tears welling up as I lay there with him. My five year old son--how did he get there so fast? To five, I mean? Sadness was creeping in at the thought of time passing so quickly and I was overcome by emotion.

Images of him dancing in our old livingroom with his diaper on, sippy cups, his favorite board book, etc were going through my mind and I laid there a little longer than I normally would just to take in his breathing and his head on my shoulder. My five year old.

It goes by quick, huh guys? And if we stop for a second and think about it, it sometimes catches us off guard. The other day I playfully grabbed Cooper to give him a hug thinking he'd pull away and run off. Having a three year old, it's just so natural to have Griffin in my lap and to give him kisses and to be more physical with him. Cooper has become quite the daddy's boy and Griffin is still mommy's little one. But when I grabbed Cooper thinking it was a game, he wrapped his arms around my legs and wouldn't let go. He wanted to be held and I was a little taken aback by it. Hello, five year old son. Not that I've forgotten about you, it's just that time goes by day after day and I don't always make a conscious effort to love on him in the same way I do Griffin. It is so sweet to know that they still need that. And you better believe I sat him in my lap and took that opportunity to let him know even though my lap had shrunk, my love for him was just a big as ever! Take advantage of the time you have! I know I am reminded of that tonight as I lay with them.

Dear Lord,
Give us sharp minds that appreciate the details of our everyday. Sometimes, day to day routines can seem burdensome and long. But looking back, we can see that time goes by so quickly and our kids grow up fast. Teach us to love them boldly and to use our opportunities with them to be present and real.
In your name we pray,
Amen.

2 comments:

  1. So well said! This has been on my heart so much lately and it also brings me to tears... It's funny there isn't a time when I am out with my kids that I don't hear from an older person "enjoy these times they go by so fast", And they do. I agree we should take these times to embrace our little ones while we still can. Thanks Tracey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! My 11 year old fell asleep in my bed the other night and I went up in an attempt to carry her down and was dumbfounded about the fact I couldn't do that anymore!! I tearfully walked her down stairs and wondered where my baby girl had gone? It goes by so fast we have to make a conscious effort to enjoy every moment!! Thanks xoxo

    ReplyDelete