Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sowing and Reaping




Typically, you hear the expression "you reap what you sow" used to warn against the consequences of sin, and quite fittingly so. But recently the Lord spoke to my heart on this verse in a different light. You see, as a busy mommy, hair, make-up, and taking time to make myself presentable oftentimes presents a unique challenge with 2 little girls needing my attention. So, we have made it a game of sorts by sitting both girls in the sink of the vanity while I get ready. We go through the make-up bag together and take turns applying the different cosmetics, brushing our hair, putting on hair spray and smelly lotions, etc. They really enjoy this time, and it has worked well in allowing me to go beyond the ponytail and lip gloss look.

So, what's the problem? Well, my husband and I agreed to not allow the girls to wear make-up until high school. However, it suddenly occurred to me the other day that the seeds I am sowing in this area are not in agreement with what we want to reap. Oops! This led me to think of other areas where I am not sowing properly or even at all. Are there other things we allow that seem "harmless" but could actually lead to more harmful behaviors?

If we want our children to grow into healthy, mature, spiritually solid adults, we should be consistently planting and nourishing seeds in those areas as well as examining and pruning those things that may seem harmless now but will reap a negative outcome in the future. The challenge for today is to look at our children's hearts as little gardens. What plants need tending to? What areas need pruning? Can you just see little buds beginning to sprout that will someday bloom into beautiful, bountiful, fruit bearing trees?

We are the gardeners of our childrens' hearts. And while it may seem that we do not see the fruit of our labor, those seeds planted and daily nourished will produce a bountiful harvest someday!

1 comment:

  1. So good, Tammy. And so true. Thanks for the reminder that the little things matter even now.

    ReplyDelete