Thursday, March 7, 2013

Waiting - Focus on the One Who Chose You

This past weekend I was taken back to a blog I posted about 9 months ago.  I was encouraged and reminded of how easily distracted I am.  But this reminder was exactly what I needed and I wanted to share it again with you. 
**************************************************************************

Every morning I get up to read these three things on my bathroom mirror:

I will turn my attention away from those who have rejected me and refocus on the One who called me to Himself for His purposes.”  (Priscilla Shirer – Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed)  
 

“You did not choose me, but I chose you.”  John 15:16


 
“I was handpicked by God.”  (Priscilla Shirer – Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed)

 

I was finding that in my time of waiting there was this huge burden that I couldn’t seem to give up and let go of, I had to refocus.  My focus was zoomed in on what was going to be done about these new unforeseen challenges in my life.  There were so many prayers needing to be answered and little hearts to protect, so much uncertainty and so much hurt.  I was in the middle of a forest staring up at an unknown amount of giant redwood trees.  Somehow I had to zoom out, seriously get a grip, and see the bigger picture.  I needed to focus on the One who chose me. 

 
“For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10

 
“…I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” Philippians 3:12b

 
There is a time when we all need to zoom in and focus on the details of our lives but when it becomes completely overwhelming we need to remember there is greater purpose.  God chose you, He chose me with a purpose in mind.  None of us are here by accident God planned us.  He knows every little facet of our lives.  Nothing has caught Him by surprise.  In all our mess and craziness He has purpose. 

 
“For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”  Romans 8:18

 
What is that purpose?  I didn’t stop praying about the craziness that was my life but it was no longer my focus.  I wholeheartedly sought God.  Over the years God has given me glimpses of purpose.  He has given me passion in different areas but now I needed Him to be more specific.  I needed Him to focus me instead of me trying to focus Him.   I moved from Lord I need, I need, I need…to “Lord, show me what You desire for me.  How can I love and serve You better?   Stir the fire in my soul Lord for the things I am to be passionate about.  Point me in the right direction.  Lord, prepare me for the work You have for me.  Reveal to me a little more of what that purpose is.” 

 
“…for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.” Philippians 2:13

 
“What gets our attention determines our direction and ultimately, our destination.”  (Andy Stanley – The Principle of the Path)
 

We can be easily distracted and get stuck in the forest.  The enemy loves to grab our attention with problems to solve and messes to clean up.  I don’t know about you, friend, but I personally want my destination to be where God’s purpose and my life come together.  I want my kids to witness what God can do in and with mess.  I don’t want them to see an overwhelmed crazy mama running around like a chicken with its head cut off.  Distracted by every little fire to the left and to the right.  I want them to see what focus on the One who chose them looks like.  I want to be an example for them to follow.  I want them to see God at work and the peace He brings.  I want them to be blessed when life just seems way past blessing.  I also want to serve and love them in the way that they truly need and deserve.  And the only way I can do that is if I am focused on Christ and in His perfect love it will all fall into place.   

“If I am devoted to the cause of humanity only, I will soon be exhausted and come to a place where my love will falter; but if I love Jesus Christ personally and passionately, I can serve humanity though men treat me as a door-mat.”  (Oswald Chambers – My Utmost for His Highest)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for reposting this!!!!! Love you, Courtney! :)

    ReplyDelete