Sunday, March 3, 2013


HE’S GOT YOUR BACK

Psalm 56:22 Give your burdens to the Lord and HE will take care of you, HE will not permit the godly to slip and fall
              

      A couple of weeks ago I picked up my 7th grader from school and as she hopped in the car her usual happy go lucky demeanor was sullen. She blurted out, “I didn't have a very good day at school today.” She then continued to tell me that someone had thrown her backpack in the garbage and she and a teacher looked for it for an hour causing her to almost miss the bus to track. As we have weaved through the emotional and finicky trials of middle school I have not always handled these types of circumstances in the holiest of ways. As my face burned and many thoughts crossed my mind hearing the story play out, I mustered up enough spirit to say, “We need to pray for the person who did this and know God will handle it.” As we got home and she unhappily told the story to my husband we advised her to go get washed up for dinner and low and behold, my mama bear kicked in. I told my husband the many ways “I” would handle this situation and what “I” would do to find the guilty party then exactly what “I” would do with that party!! It wasn't very pretty.

Psalm 56:11 I trust in God, so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?
               
     I was surprised to see my daughter emerge with a familiar bright smile on her face at the dinner table. She seemed fine and as the tables had turned, I was now pretty upset. I asked her what had happened in the last 10 minutes to change her demeanor and she said, “God gave me a song, and I feel better now” I was humbled and amazed and the faith and maturity of this young girl. It was as if God had put a mirror in my face for me to see where my flesh had led me into sin. I was angry at these little girls who hurt my little girl and I wanted revenge.
     We discussed the situation over dinner and she advised me she didn't want us to go to the school about it. We were pretty sure we knew who had done it and though it was hard, I trusted her maturity and let her handle it as she requested. I spent all day the next day praying that God would show up for her mightily! I pulled into track practice eager to hear about her day and as she got in the car she said,”Mom, did you call the school or did dad?” “No” I answered and she began to tell me the girl (whom we knew was involved) was called to the office and questioned. She wasn't sure of the consequences handed out but was sure the school had handled it! I truly was amazed at our Lord that day and was able to say to my daughter, “see honey, you never have to worry because God always has your back!”

*Heavenly Father may we place all our worries, hurt, pain, and frustration in your hands knowing you are a God of justice and having the faith that you will be our redeemer. Thank you for being the fortress we can run to when we need shelter! Thank you for the glimpses we get of you. God, thank you that you love us so much the way we are but too much to leave us that way! In Jesus name. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Sheila, thank you so much for sharing. My "momma bear" was coming out just reading this. Thank you for the reminder that we should put our hope, faith, and trust in God because "he always has our back." Love you girl! Give your sweet, beautiful (inside and out) daughter a BIG hug for me. :)

    ReplyDelete