Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Freedom is Letting Go!

I have two teenagers.  Whenever I tell people this they give me the same sympathetic look.  They say things like "Oh I remember those days" or "Don't worry they eventually realize you were never the enemy".  I'm sure that if you have teenagers you get similar reactions.  I see this as a "worldly" perspective.  However, it's Christians and non-Christians alike giving me these kinds reactions. I believe one of the main problems is that we as Christian parents are unable or unwilling  to release control of our teenagers to the Lord at the necessary times.  "Release" yes can be a frightening word. Yet it is what our teenagers need to grow.  I listened to a podcast recently where the preacher stated that "People do best when they feel loved and free."  Think about it.  As a Christian parent you have prayed over, poured into and provided opportunities for your children to know God through Jesus Christ.  To grow in their relationship with the Lord and as young people in the society which they live in. While they are still under your roof as teenagers, the best thing you can do is "let the leash out a bit" and trust in their relationship with the Lord.  They know whats right and wrong.  They will make mistakes along the way but at least you are there to help them navigate through them.  Let me bring this "close to home".

My son Samuel is 17 years old.  It was time to "encourage" him to get a job.  He recently applied for a position. Good news, Yes! He got hired.  There are still many steps he needs to take before he actually starts working.  Here's where release of control comes in and trusting in his relationship with God. He has been waiting on a return call from Human Resources.  He can not start working until he gets further instruction.  He has been waiting 4 days. If it were me, I would be calling the woman everyday until she called me back. A few days ago, I suggested to Samuel to call her again and he assured me that he had a plan in place.  Being the Mom I want to control the situation.  I think I know best. Instead, I felt the Holy Spirit pull me back. God is so good.  Instead of "encouraging" him in how I think he should handle it (my way) I prayed.  I told the Lord that I trust His will for Sam's life.  I also told Him that I trust His relationship with Sam.  Therefore, I prayed that if it was the Lord's will that Samuel call the woman today and asked the Holy Spirit to prompt him.  I let it go and chose not to think about it again.  Freedom in letting go!  With no prompting from me (truthfully I forgot all about it), Samuel told me today that he called the woman again!  I was instantly reminded of my prayer earlier to trust the Lord in and through Sam.

It's hard because we want the best for our children.  The mistake is when we think we "always" know what the "best" is.   Godly mom, if you have been investing in your children as you should with His word, prayer, and being a good listener, then trust their relationship with the Lord and let Him work.

My prayer for you today is that you begin to practice letting go of control and letting the Holy Spirit do what he does best.  Not only for your teenagers but for you.  Freedom in letting go.  Praise the Lord!

Deuteronomy 6:5-9 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Impress them on your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lieu get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Then write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates."

Matthew 22:37 "Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Proverbs 22:6 "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this, that HE who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."


2 Corinthians 3:17 "Now the Lord is Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom."

No comments:

Post a Comment