Sunday, March 10, 2013

Be Still




“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”  Psalm 46:10


Why is it that as women, we feel the need to be in constant motion?  Every woman I know thinks she should busy doing something, anything.  Yet, this is totally contrary to the teaching of Our Lord.  We look to the New Testament example of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42.  Jesus made it clear that it’s much better to sit at His feet and wait upon Him than to be scurrying around in our own strength doing what we think will please Him.  I’m certain we’ve all read this passage numerous times and most of us have heard teachings on it .   Yet, why do so many of us continue to scurry about?

I don’t know the answer for anyone else, but for myself, I can honestly say that I feel more comfortable when I’m busy.  It satisfies my flesh and helps me feel useful, wanted.  Busyness confirms that I’m needed and serve a purpose in the world.  And I seem to sleep better knowing I have a role to play.

But lately, I’m realizing that role is changing.  As my son’s voice begins to change and my oldest talks about moving away, my role as a Mommy is definitely evolving.  A couple of weeks ago, I overheard my youngest talking to someone in church about the best college for her chosen profession.  In some ways I’m glad the kids are growing up; they are showing independence and more responsibility in their schoolwork as well as chores.  I’m finally not needed every second of the day.  And while this is wonderfully freeing in some ways, I have been noticing that I’m trying to replace that new-found freedom with more busyness. 

Over the past month, the Lord has been speaking to my heart about resting.  He’s reaffirming that if He hasn’t called me to do “it”, no matter how noble or godly “it” may be, obedience to Him is more important.  This is difficult.  I like motion.  I groove on busy.  But over the past four weeks, I’ve disciplined myself to rest in Him.  I haven’t tried to fill every moment of the day with some event.  When I’ve finished the laundry, I’ve taken time for intercessory prayer.   When the kids have finished their schoolwork, I’ve sat down a read my Bible.   As crazy as it sounds, it hasn’t been easy, but it’s been fruitful.  My outlook has been peace-filled and Spirit directed and I feel like I’ve accomplished more in the past month that I may have in years.  I wish I would’ve learned the principle of rest before, but now that I’m finally getting it, I feel blessed beyond measure.  

Maybe you’re a Mom with little ones running or crawling around and you can’t begin to imagine having a minute to yourself; you’re worn out and running on empty.  We’ve all been there, but it’s important to realize that you too, like the rest of us, need to take a breather every once and a while.  Maybe it’s while your little ones nap; perhaps you could put on a praise CD and worship Jesus while washing clothes.  Maybe you can take 10 minutes to read the Word and see how much God accomplishes in the few moments you can spare.   

Or maybe you’re a mom that’s already practicing the discipline of rest.  How can you help another mom learn to rest?  We definitely need to encourage each other!

Sometimes I think we just need to feel that it’s okay to rest.  Take some time this coming week and practice being still before our Lord.   Then watch as He is exalted among your family.  



No comments:

Post a Comment