Friday, January 11, 2013

Are Your Towels Level?


Google Image

“Chitty Chitty Bang Bang” was a personal favorite movie as a child.   Do you remember this scene? This is the scene where the crazy inventor, Professor Potts sings to his kids about being a family.  “You Two” is a song I’ve loved singing to our children.  Yes, we were blessed with more than two, but it is such a song of camaraderie and happiness.  It’s about being “there,” being “together,” being a “team.”

This week my team has gone.  The oldest is happy with her husband, only 45 minutes away.  Our youngest left yesterday to go on her first mission trip.  And I took our son to the airport this morning for his return flight to college.

The house is quiet.  Their bedrooms are tidy. The towels are all hanging level.  No one has asked me for anything.  Not laundry, a meal or a ride.

I know it’s a natural part of their growing up.  The reality of the quiet is deafening.

How DID I do?  What DO I do?  I’m grateful I had “You Two” to sing to our children as we danced around our home.

But today, I smile.  I’m grateful.  Grateful for what is going on with our children now.  I will never take for granted where they are now.

To you young moms, please sing with your children, dance with them, hug them, kiss them good night.  Be grateful when they ask for a meal or clean clothes.  And if the towel isn’t hanging level, straighten it yourself…and smile.

James 4: 13 – 15  “Now listen, you who say, Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.  Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.  What is your life?  You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.  Instead, you out to say, “if it is the Lord’s will we will do this or that.”

1 comment: