Saturday, January 26, 2013

Family Rules = Family Peace


Start children off 
on the way they should go,
    and even when they are old
 they will not turn from it. 
- Proverbs 22:6


Ten years ago I got my degree in education, from Palm Beach Atlantic University,  and attained my first "real" job as a teacher. I quickly learned the importance of classroom rules and consistency as I taught my 7th graders math. The rules were posted along my portable walls as well as the consequences for that student who failed to comply. We would review these rules daily to reiterate what was expected of each student in my class. 



Being a mom is very much like being a teacher. Rules need to be in place. Expectations set and given clearly along with consequences. Standing firm and allowing the children to know that because you love them, you will guide them in the right direction. As a parent, consistency is key to setting the limits for your children, if the ultimate goal is to see results. 

I have failed in this area of parenting. I haven't made a list of rules and expectations. I am SO not consistant. For the longest time my husband has encouraged me to make a "Seawell Family Rules" poster board telling my kids what I expect. 

It's 2013 and I am ready for change. I want to be consistant. I want to have rules up for my kids to see and follow. So the other day ...I did just that.

On a white board I posted "Seawell Family Rules" (we had 3)
...each with
1. Rule 
2. Consequence 
3. A scripture verse that reinforced the rule.

I really thought hard about what my kids were struggling with, behavior wise, and came up with rules from that list. As we sit down to eat meals together we review them. It has been awesome. The list holds both the kids and I accountable to the rules of our home....them to obeying AND me to following through with the consequence for disobedience. 

What about you? Do you have family rules? Have you posted them or shared them with your kids lately? Review. Be consistant. Watch God work as you grow your kids in His word and His direction. 


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, that is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently did the same thing... it has really helped us be consistent with discipline! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete