Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Selah, celebrate and hope for 2013!

The Amplified Bible translates selah as "pause, and think of that".  So, I've pressed the "pause" button and set aside my series on priorities and I want to encourage you to "pause" for a few moments with me.  We're two days into 2013 and many of us have packed up our Christmas things and welcomed in the new year, perhaps grateful for a fresh start.  Are you charging into the new year with a prayerful resolution in mind or a mental note of things to do differently this year?

If you haven't already done so, I'd like to provide an opportunity for you to reflect on and celebrate your spiritual growth in 2012.  Where did the Lord lead you last year?  What changes did he ask you to make?  Do you see spiritual growth? What about examples of his grace along the way?   We serve an awesome God!  Let's make sure we're taking the time to praise him for his work in us as he molds us to look more like Jesus.

For me, I can see the Lord at work in my spiritual growth last year, through several bible studies with a group of dear sisters whom I love and respect. While there were times throughout the year when I was discouraged and doubted my spiritual progress, I can look back and see that I was right where the Lord wanted me to be, in each study, as he continued to mold and shape me into the servant, witness, daughter, wife, mother, family member, friend and neighbor he designed me to be.

While I can celebrate and give thanks to God for my growth in 2012, I still see so much ugliness in me, and desire to be more like our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Do you relate?  If so, here's a little hope for 2013, taken from Lysa Terkeurst's Unglued:

The Hope of Imperfect Progress

What kept me from making changes was feeling that I wouldn't do it perfectly.  I knew I'd still mess up and the changes wouldn't come instantly.  Sometimes we girls think if we don't make instant progress, then real change isn't coming.  But that's not so.  There is a beautiful reality called imperfect progress.  The day I realized the glorious hope of this kind of imperfect change is the day I gave myself permission to believe I could really be different. (Emphasis mine)



For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. - Ephesians 2:8-9. NIV

I am praying for imperfect progress, wrapped in God's grace, for you in 2013.  I am also praying that we raise up children who strive for imperfect progress and recognize God's grace along the way. Will you please pray the same for me?  Thank you, my dear!


No comments:

Post a Comment