Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Who's Greater?

"He that it in you is greater than he that is in the world."
1John 4:4

Yesterday my daughter Bailee and I were privileged to attend an Arts Smart - Lunch and Learn at the Kravis Center in West Palm Beach. Ms. Lourdes Lopez, the new Artistic Director of the Miami City Ballet (MCB) was featured.  My daughter is 15 and has been studying Ballet since the age of three. We were curious about Ms. Lopez and wanted to hear about the journey that led her back to her home of Miami, where she was raised as well to hear about her vision for the MCB. She is a very accomplished Ballerina (to say the least) and has contributed tremendously to the Arts and people around her. She reaches out to people less fortunate than herself and lives life with a great sense of gratitude. She is excited to begin this new part of her journey with the MCB.  To summarize, Ms. Lopez seemed to be a woman of integrity.  She always strives to work hard and be better not only for herself but for others. I loved how she said she never pictured herself in a tutu and tiara dancing the principal roles in George Balanchine Ballets.  She simply decided at the early age of 14 to work hard each day and treasure her gift of dance. She was humble and meek. Sounds very "Christian-like" doesn't it.  I do not know where she stands with God or faith. She did not mention neither.  However, I was struck by her ability and desire to care for others.  She has given of herself and has accomplished so much. She continues to enrich and influence the lives of her family and those around her.

As Bailee and I were walking out to our car after the luncheon I was considering all she said. I must admit, I was convicted by this woman's character and accomplishments.  I aligned my life with hers and realized I have lived more of my life in fear than faith; even though I am a Christian.  I began sharing my thoughts with Bailee.  How much more should we be doing with the gifts God has placed in us.  We have Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit to accomplish anything.  Yes anything! Not for our glory but for His. As Bailee considered what I was saying, I went on to tell her that I believe if Satan can't get us to backslide in our walk with Christ, then he will work hard to convince us that we can't accomplish anything.  This is a lie!  Jesus tells us in the book of John Chapter 14 verses 12-14; "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.  And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.   You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." Do greater things than what Jesus did when he was here on Earth?  That's amazing isn't it?  I think so and Bailee agreed! As we encourage the gifts we see God has knit into the fiber of our children, remind them of what they can accomplish when they fully surrender.  God gave us the gifts so that He can be glorified in and through us! As we remember 1 John 4:4 we will live each day to its fullest.  The life God intends us to live.  We will live a life of joy and purpose using our gifts to share the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ.  How appropriate for Bailee, "How beautiful are the feet that bring the Good News" Romans 10:15

My prayer for our children today is that they realize the gifts God has given them and use them to their full potential to fulfill the two greatest commandments; Love God and love others! I also pray for us as moms for the wisdom to lead and guide them in the discovery of God's will for their lives through these gifts He has given them.  Be encouraged! Let us choose to do great things for the Lord today through our gift of motherhood.

"He must become greater and I must become less" John 3:30

Ms. Lourdes Lopez and Bailee


No comments:

Post a Comment