Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Have A Good Time - Part II

...continued from 1/22/13
So a real test is presented to the Christian. The challenge is for us to learn how to have a good time; how to enjoy the good life and the rich provisions God has provided for us. And while learning how to enjoy life we must, at the same time, learn to avoid that which is crippling to our physical, mental, moral, and spiritual health and happiness. And in order to meet this challenge we need to seek the proper guidelines for that which is proper. And certainly the guidelines are found in the word of God. We must, therefore, seek divine approval for all our recreational activities; the Bible does contain the answers. But while God's word is specific on certain things that are wrong and prohibited, not all the "do's and don't" are specifically spelled out for us. But we hasten to declare that God has given us certain principles to direct us and help us in our search for what is right and what is wrong. And by applying these principles we can learn what constitutes recreation as well as what constitutes dissipation. Certain questions need to be asked and God's counsel must be sought for answers pertaining to having a good time.
These questions and answers include:

(1) What about my companionships? "Evil companionships corrupt good morals" (1 Cor. 15:33). So I certainly must choose good company in my recreational activites. When the Christian associates with evil people in recreational activities there is always the danger of moral erosion; thus we need to be reminded that we cannot "run with them into the same excess of riot" (1 Pet. 4:4).

(2) What about my service to God? If having a good time interferes with my worship to God, my Bible study, prayer life, or any other phase of my growth and well being as a Christian, it becomes wrong. It is wrong because I am devoting my service and allegiance to something other than God and thus recreation become an idol.

(3) What about my influence.? One of the most precious things the Christian can possess is a good influence. "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches" (Prov. 22:1). 1 should never do that which brings reproach on my family name and posterity, and more so I must never do that which brings shame to the name of my Lord and Savior.

(4) What about the indecent? A lot of recreation is indecent. And if that recreation or entertainment puts me in a situation where speech, action, or conduct are vulgar and coarse, and where evil passions and desires are stirred, it should be avoided. As a Christian, I should desire to keep my heart. pure and strive to keep my passions and evil desires in check.

(5) What about my financial means? I have a financial responsibility to material things (government, family, etc.) as well as a responsibility to God. And if I overload myself with "things" in order to have a good time and in so doing, strap myself financially God is so often the one who is robbed (Mal. 3:8) because financial responsibilities hinder me from giving as I should.

My friend, God never expected nor intended that we give up all the fun and enjoyment of living because we are Christians. It is completely foreign to the life of the child of God to just endure a life of morbid gloom. Likewise, it is a mistaken notion that Christianity is just a lot of "don't do this and don't do that. " These are distorted ideas and untrue concepts of true religion. Contrary to this, we should live radiant, happy, cheerful, and truly enjoyable lives. We should learn to have a good time; to "re-create" our bodies and minds. But let us always regulate our lives in this respect so as to "prove all things; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil" (1 Thess. 5:21-22).

No comments:

Post a Comment