Monday, January 28, 2013

Stay the Course


“Lord, please help me NOT to lose it on my little one. He/She is driving me CRAZY!” Ever pray a prayer like that? You know, on those days when it seems like your little (or not so little) one is working your last nerve intentionally? Ever had a day where you feel like despite their best efforts, they just can’t seem to get it together and focus? Whether the disobedience is intentional or a part of a temporary lapse of self-control, we as moms occasionally have some rough days with our kids.

Perhaps I should share with you a little story: Lately I have been having a hard time with my oldest Doodlebug and his lack of first time obedience. Upon the advice of a friend, I started a new positive motivation system to help him stay on course…to listen the first time, work diligently at school (I homeschool), go potty and brush his teeth each morning, etc. Well, without going through the details of his new star chart, let’s just say that it worked like a charm…for a week. We enjoyed a nice family time that Saturday as we all went out for a special treat for my Doodlebug’s reward.

He was like a perfect little angel that week. The next week…not so much. He struggled with listening to the extreme. He even told me, “Mommy, I really want to do the right thing. It is hard to listen all the time.” So, here we are still working at it. I am learning to be consistent, gentle, and firm in my discipline all at the same time. He is learning to listen and obey without excuses, delay, etc.

Well, this next past week at church as I picked Doodlebug up from his class, his teacher commented that he was “the best listener in the class that day”. What?! On top of that, I was helping some of the teachers prepare the annual badges for the Sunday School students and saw that my Doodlebug was going to be awarded the “Attentiveness” badge because he is so eager to participate and stay focused during Sunday School. I was beaming with excitement and gratefulness that he was actually listening to me and trying to apply godly instruction to his life.

I believe that God was trying to show me the beauty of my son as a work in progress. He was giving me a sneak peak of the “harvest”. He was encouraging me to stay the course. Mom, God chose you to be the mother of your child. You are making a difference. Stay the course and remember (especially on those rough days)…

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9 (NIV)

Father,

Help us love like you love. Thank you for our children and choosing us to be their mother. As we seek to raise this next generation of disciples, help us to stay the course. When we are weary, revive us with your Holy Spirit. Help us to see the beauty of our kids as works in progress. We love you, Lord.

In Jesus’ name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. How did you know I was going through this right now??!!! Ha ha, God knows. Thanks Teresa for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete