Friday, January 18, 2013

No Cursing!


Bradwhitt.com images

         I wasn’t a good student.  Not in elementary or secondary or even in college.  I passed.  But school was hard.  I didn’t feel smart. I was embarrassed I couldn’t get straight A’s.  No one noticed me for academic excellence.
         I remember seeking help from Mrs. Davis in Algebra, but it only seemed to reinforce how incapable I was.  I labeled myself a poor student.  My older brother is brilliant.  I felt I was disappointing the family because I couldn’t keep up with his flawless report cards.
         Looking back, I probably thought I was “cursed” with dumb genes.

Deuteronomy 23:5, "He turned the curse into a blessing for you, because the Lord Your God loves you."

I’ve thought of all that we call a "curse."  Be it life's circumstances, consequences, illness, relationships, or choices.  
I have looked at many of my struggles and our children’s struggles as “curses.” It is interesting to note when we recognize our struggle (or curse) I will ultimately go to God.
Not only have their struggles caused them to depend on God for the answer, but those curses have caused ME to fall on my face and cry out for His help, understanding and direction.  Those "curses" cause us to go to God and seek Him.  It causes those around us to do the same.  What started as a curse has now become a blessing.
Google Images
Don’t miss the last part of the verse. “…Because the Lord your God loves you!”  The curse isn’t punishment it’s ultimately the vehicle to bring the blessing of His love.  I am confident my lack of academic achievement has forced me to search for God, as has the difficulties our children have experienced.  Many of those "curses," I now count as blessings!  Great is His love!

No comments:

Post a Comment