Saturday, January 19, 2013

Who is YOUR Truth Teller?


The Lord your God is with you,
    the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
    in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
    but will rejoice over you with singing.
    - Zephaniah 3:17 -


For the past 6 months I have really struggled with my son. With obedience. With humility. With unwholesome words. He has struggled and unfortunately at times I have too. I have come unglued many times and allowed my emotions to lead me instead of leaning into His power, His strength, His Word, and His encouragement. 

I recently went to a mom's Bible study and was reminded, by the speaker, of the importance of scripture. It alters how I see life. How I see myself, my situations, my children, the path Jesus currently has me on. Just as sunglasses change the shade of light we see with our eyes, the Bible will alter the lens we see life through as well. 

So I decided to let the Lord be my truth teller. Not my emotions. Not my gut. Not my friends (though I love them dearly). Not my children. Not the fiery darts satan shoots my way. But Christ. Letting Him be the One who reminds me of who I am, my value, where my security comes from, and all the while keeping my end (eternity) in perspective.

Honestly my vision gets cloudy when I am left on my own. I want to see clearly. I want to have deposits of Truth made into my heart that I can turn around and share with others. In order for this to happen, I must purpose in my heart to study scripture. Take the time to allow His Holy Spirit to work in and through Truth being read and pondered. 

What does that look like practically?

(1) Leave an open Bible on your kitchen counter (read it throughout your day)
     *Go to PROVERBS for that day and while 
       making breakfast, lunch, and dinner take
       time to read a few verses or more.
(2) Post scripture in your shower (thanks 
     Courtney for this suggestion many months ago)
     *Use double-sided tape and a notecard to write
      a scripture you need to meditate on
      Most of us take a shower each day & could 
      have a verse memorized & ready to share each week 
(3) Find a verse that specifically speaks to the issue 
     you or your child is struggling with, then put 
     it to song, have you or your family sing it each day
     as a reminder 
(4) Put a reminder in your phone (every couple of hours)
     with a specific verse or something to pray for. 
     Sometimes its just that extra note that will remind us 
     to get our perspective back on the Lord.

SO, who is your Truth Teller? Do you go to your Creator to be reminded of your worth, value and security?

What practices could you put into place to be reminded of how Christ sees your current condition or situation?

     

1 comment:

  1. Amen! So glad His word is the lifeline for truth in our lives...we just need to read it and apply it. Thank you for the healthy reminder, Kate! :)

    ReplyDelete