Tuesday, November 12, 2013

When Aggravation Accumulates (Lysa TerKeurst)


This devotion refers to a husband, but we can also apply this to our children. 

“Be angry, and yet do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not give the devil an opportunity.” Ephesians 4:26-27 (NASB)

I opened the front door and smiled at the delivery man, “Four large pizzas, right?” The look on the pizza guy’s face told me the teenagers in my backyard were about to be disappointed.

“Ummm, well, actually there are only two. Let me check your ticket … oh, yeah you’re supposed to have four. Give me 20 minutes and I’ll be back with the other two.” I took the two he had and said, “No problem. The kids can start on these and have round two when you get back.”

As I walked into the kitchen, my husband Art gave me a funny look. “I thought you ordered four pizzas.”

“Yeah, the delivery guy forgot two but will be back in a few minutes. No big deal,” I quipped with a shoulder shrug. Art tilted his head. “You didn’t even ask for a discount or coupons?”

“I felt bad for the guy. It’s not a big deal to ask the kids to wait a few minutes,” I replied with a smile. Remembering the way I’d reacted earlier during a little “growth opportunity” we’d had, Art said, “Wow. I’d like to receive that kind of grace.”

Ouch. His point was well made. I’d gotten aggravated with something Art had done and let him know. Why is it I’m so quick to give a gentle answer to a stranger but spew on those I love? Perhaps it’s because of accumulated impact. This was the only time I’d ever seen the pizza guy. My emotions toward him were completely neutral. When he made a mistake, I was able to let it go. But I have a history with Art. We do life together. If I let aggravations collect, my emotions ratchet up, creating more and more tension. Then, when something happens, I find it much harder to brush off the offense and offer grace.

Accumulated aggravations equal accumulated impact.

Therefore, it’s crucial I don’t collect aggravations. I’ve heard many times: “Do not let the sun go down on your anger …” (Ephesians 4:26 NASB) I know it. But honestly, sometimes I ignore it. I collect aggravations because I’m too tired to talk. Or, I don’t want to deal with it. Or, I try to convince myself it’s no big deal to go to bed mad.

But when I keep reading one more verse, Ephesians 4:27, I understand why I should deal with little aggravations while they are still little. They might not stay little long. Why? Because verse 27 finishes with a strong warning, “… and do not give the devil an opportunity” (NASB)

Yikes. The devil is just waiting for an opportunity. I picture him hissing, “Go to bed mad … and give me an opportunity.” That just sends shivers down my spine. I love my husband. I get aggravated with him. But I love him. So, I certainly don’t want to open the door of opportunity for the devil to turn little aggravations into big ones.

I put down the pizzas and kissed Art’s cheek. “I love you and I’m sorry I didn’t give you that kind of grace.” To which he replied back with a big smile, “I still think we should have asked for a discount or coupons.” Like I said, I love my husband!

Prayer: Dear Lord, I really want to follow Your example and live a life full of grace. Sometimes it is so hard to show grace to those closest to me. Help me. I don’t want to give the devil any opportunities in my marriage, my relationships with my children, or in my friendships. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I love how Lysa explained that this was her first encounter with the pizza guy and had more grace for him. But since we do life with our family we tend to get aggravated them quicker! Thank you Valencia!
    Missi

    ReplyDelete