Thursday, November 21, 2013

In the Presence of Idols - By His Spirit

“...we who serve God by his Spirit, who boast in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh-” (Philippians 3:3 NIV)

This reminded me today of the power of the Holy Spirit and my absolute inability to serve God without His spirit.  In terms of idols, I was reminded that it is I who give idols a place in my heart. In my flesh that is where I am lead...idols.

“...but each person is tempted when they are dragged away by their own evil desire and enticed.” (James 1:14 NIV)

It is only by His Spirit that the idols in my heart will be revealed and removed. And it is only by His Spirit that they will not be rebuilt. My flesh is my weakest link, the chink in my armor.  It holds onto what needs to be let go and it carves idols out of things that have been given as gifts from God. I have to live solely by His Spirit.

“For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— because anyone who has died has been set free from sin.” (Romans 6:6, 7 NIV)

What gifts from God may we be carving at, making them our idols or trying to be their idols?  Our children, husbands, jobs, homes, family?  The list could go on and on.

Father I pray that as you continue to weed out the idols of my heart that I would clearly see the disgusting nature of my flesh and the power and glory of your Spirit at work in me.  I pray that your Spirit would continue to strengthen me, crowding out my flesh, weakening it completely. Thank you Father for all you do in my heart and for the gift of your Spirit. 

Related Blogs:
In the Presence of Idols – False Confidence
In the Presence of Idols – A Story
In the presence of Idols – Expectations
In the Presence of Idols
Sacrificing the Children

No comments:

Post a Comment