Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Godspeed

As He so often does, God recently used a simple analogy to illustrate for me how His expectations, timing and even His pace are different from mine.  I was at a swim lesson for my son and one of the skills he is learning is how to turn around under water.  So, I dunked him under water and he whipped right around to face me.  I thought that was great!  But, his teacher pointed out that it was way too fast. It's a safety class.  To "graduate", a child must demonstrate the ability to jump into the water from the side of a pool, swim out a few seconds, turn around under water, swim back to the wall and climb out.  The teacher explains that if he whips around too quickly, too close to the wall, he could smack his head against the wall and knock himself out.  I was reminded that it's a slow and steady kind of class and he's already mastered the breath control required for a slow turn, so, no reason to rush it.  In fact, it's safer if it's slow.  She mentioned that she is training us (the parents) at the same time she's training our kids.

Hmm.  Just like God is training us at the same time He is training our kids.  Sometimes, I'd like to pass God in the left hand lane.  I imagine God goes the speed limit, and I have been known to speed on occasion.  I want to get there quickly.  Especially when "there" is freedom from a stronghold, struggle or even sinful behavior within myself or my child.  I can even justify my rush because surely God doesn't like "this" in me or my child, so let's "nail it" (to quote Teresa's recent post) just as fast as we can and move on!

Let the wicked forsake his way And the unrighteous man his thoughts; And let him return to the LORD, And He will have compassion on him, And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon. 8"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," declares the LORD. 9"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts.…Isaiah 55:7-9 

and...

Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time (emphasis mine). Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:6, NIV

As I was toying with titles about how God's timing, even when it comes to molding us and our kids into His image, is different than ours, I googled "Godspeed." Interestingly, the word has nothing to do with the actual pace of things.  Check this out - from Yahoo Answers.

Godspeed = "may God prosper you, grant you success", short for "God speed you".

This expression is used especially when someone is leaving on a journey for a specific purpose. That is, it is not just a general wish for a safe journey, or generic 'good luck', but a wish/prayer that they will have success in what they are setting out to do. Thus, though used mainly when someone is literally setting out, it can also simply be used to wish someone well in a VENTURE they are embarking on, even if it does not involve a physical journey

The verb "speed" here has nothing to do with 'quickness', but is used in the archaic sense of the word - "succeed, attain one's goal, desire"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q...


Surely, God will be successful with us, those whom His son redeemed.  He will attain His goals with us; His way and in His time.  And, along the way, His grace is sufficient for His pace with us and with our children.  It just may keep us from banging our head against the wall.

Prayer:  Dear Heavenly Father,  thank you and praise you for your precious care and provision for us moms and our children.  Help us to trust in your promises and in your perfect plan and timing for our transformations, even when we'd like to get ahead of ourselves and/or our children.  Have your way with us, Lord, and thank you for your grace, which is sufficient for our journeys as we continue to seek you with all of our hearts.  In Jesus' name, we pray.  Amen. 


 



3 comments:

  1. What a great analogy and reminder of God's protection in His timing. Thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this Ingrid!!! Thank you for the analogy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post Ingrid. Thank you for sharing this with us as we try to hurry through life!

    ReplyDelete