Monday, November 25, 2013

Leading My Family in Thankfulness

A couple of years ago, we were blessed to host some good friends for the Thanksgiving season. They were in town to visit some family members and needed a place to stay, but they also carved out some time to “kick the can” with us. We had a great time! After they left, I realized that Kate had placed a little thank you card on my dresser along with a Thanksgiving card from Family Life.

Such a sweet gift of gratitude! On the back of the card, was a little exercise to complete with our family. I thought it would be a great idea to make this little “assignment” together a tradition in our family…perhaps sweetened by a cup of tea, cider…or hot chocolate with marshmallows for the kids.

The exercise is a fill-in-the-blank “walk down memory lane” that we complete (verbally) as a family. It is my pleasure and joy to share it with you… J

Complete the following statements together:

  • I remember when we needed ________________ and God provided ________________. (Read Phillippians 4:12-13, 19).
  • I am thankful that God brought ___________________ (person’s name or another family) into my life because he has used them to _______________. (Read Ephesians 4:11-13).
  • I am thankful for ________________ that God gives us every day. (Read Deuteronomy 8:3).
  • I am thankful that God is teaching me ____________________. (Read Hebrews 12:4-11_.
  • Despite (and even because of) _______________, I thank you for ____________. (Read 1 Thessalonians 5:18 and James 1:2-4).
  • We can’t help but thank you for ________________!  You are so good, Lord. (Read Psalm 23: 5-6).


Happy Thanksgiving!

Prayer,

Lord, for YOU we are truly thankful! You have washed us clean of our sins, even though we do not deserve it. You bless us with good things. You desire relationship with us, and we are blessed by your Spirit and your truth. Thank you, Lord!

In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment