Friday, December 7, 2012

Flashback


     I had a flashback this week.  I remembered living in our little house on the hill.  I’m thinking there were more stairs from the street to our front door then there was square footage. 
     My mom made it cozy and my dad worked hard (two full time jobs) in order to keep us in it.  I look back at that home and smirk.  How did they do it?
Google Image
     The specific flashback I have is the trash men coming to get our garbage.  I remember my mom opening Coca-Cola bottles with a bottle opener, and then running them down the hill to the guys picking up our garbage. 
    Many of you have similar memories I’m sure.  Maybe your parents looked in their wallets or purses to give someone an extra dollar.
     Giving.  That’s what we think of at Christmas right? I remember blogging last year about the perfect gift.  Thinking about this flashback and my mom, I’m thankful for all she has “given” to me over the years.
     I am specifically thankful for the example my mom has given.  She always thought of others.  With four children in seven years she was giving of herself as a mom.  She was the first to laugh and not take life too seriously.  She also cared for her parents and those she worked with and for.  She went back to work when we were in school full time to keep us in a Christian school. 
     I still remember my younger brothers shoes on the counter (on a paper towel) that she would clean and polish for the next day.  Mom cooked every night: a meat; two vegetables; a starch and either homemade biscuits with jelly or some form of dessert.
     My mom found Jesus while I was still in grade school.  And she shared Him too.
     What will you “give” this Christmas to your family?  Don’t worry about making a purchase, give them your example of loving and living like Jesus.

Proverbs 31: 15 "She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls."  Verse 20 "She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy."  Verse 26 "She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue."  Verse 28 "Her children arise and call her blessed:..."  Verse 31  "Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise..."

No comments:

Post a Comment