Sunday, December 2, 2012


                                                         Reliving my Regrets…..or Not
James 3:2, "Indeed, we all make many mistakes. For if we could control our tongues, we would be perfect and could also control ourselves in every other way." (NLT)

I was pulling out all of our Christmas stuff tonight and came across a box of memorabilia from our wedding. I nostalgically looked through the box and came upon our wedding video. Now most people would think awe how sweet, but there is a story to our video. You see, I had had a VERY stressful morning and drove myself and some of my bridesmaids to the wedding late. I parked on the wrong side of the church and then had to dodge arriving guests as I dashed past the alter in an attempt to make it to my bridal room. Needless to say my stomach was in knots and tears flowed from my made up eyes. All of the craziness and stress ended there and I ended up having a beautiful, magical day that I will never forget! However, when the video guy came around to interview me I was so unprepared that I blabbered how this started out to be the “day from hell” Yes!! I said that!! I immediately felt bad for what I said but for some reason didn’t mention it to the video man and of course that is the end of that story. We never showed our video to anyone and had even purchased copies for our families that were never given.
               This is not the first and I’m sure won’t be the last time my big mouth gets me in trouble. I struggle with this, anyone else? Though this problem persists I see it getting better daily as I stay in step with Jesus. The bigger problem I have is the guilt that comes along with the statements. I have a very hard time letting myself off the hook. Thank God I have a gracious husband who encourages, forgives, and loves me through this! I have said hurtful and rude things to my children also. That is the hardest for me to forgive because I felt the pain of harsh words as a child and I know the damage they can do. The one thing I didn’t have is a sincere apology to go with it.
               Moms, I don’t know your story but I know we all fall short of the Glory of God. When you do, and you will, stay humble. Your child’s spirit is on the line. This may not be easy and man is it a humbling experience but when they see that you make mistakes too and that you are willing to submit an apology to them it will impact them more then you can imagine. I have admitted my wrongs to my children. I have very humbly come before them and I have watched the fruit of them humbly coming before others when they are wrong. I have seen a crushed spirit rekindled from a simple sincere apology. And the guilt has lifted from me in those moments along with a stinging reminder not to do or say that again.

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it 
Prayer:
Heavenly Father we come before you knowing that we are not perfect. We ask that you would help us to be filled fresh with Your Spirit daily. That our thoughts and words would reflect who You are. Please help us to humble ourselves in the times we give in to our flesh and say or do the wrong things. Help us to fight our pride and ask for forgiveness to those we hurt and thank you Lord for the eternal forgiveness we don’t deserve but You so graciously give. In Jesus name . Amen!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! So true! Thank you for being so transparent and reminding us... the beauty in humility that comes when we ask Jesus for help as we raise up our little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, I so love your heart and your humility!! Your husband and children are so blessed by your transparency. YOU are a gift! Thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete