Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Priorities Part 4 - Serving Others

I recently turned down an opportunity to serve a friend whom I love dearly.  Our family had just returned from an exhausting week that included two separate road trips to locations more than 3 hours away, with a visit from family in between.  My son and I had a cold through the first part of the week and we were still recovering.  When the request came in, I was overwhelmed and done serving.  I needed someone to serve me!  In fact, my mom had just arrived to help with our son so that I could catch up, and, if time permitted, get some much needed rest!  Still, I failed the test.  I love this friend and I wanted to serve, but was afraid that if I did, I would come unglued myself and my own family would suffer.  I offered up a quick prayer, but I'm not sure I waited for God's answer before I said no.   Have you been there?

John 15:13 New International Version (NIV)
13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

I've reflected on the literal translation of this verse and I love to believe that, given the opportunity, I would, as Jesus did, lay down my life for my husband, son, mother, family member, friend, fellow Christian or even a stranger.  Yet, in the above example, I had an opportunity to lay down my own agenda or daily life, if you will, to serve a sister in Christ, and I didn't think I could do it.

As this blog is one in a series on priorities, I think it's appropriate to remind us moms that yes, serving the Lord, our husbands and our families do come before serving others.  Sometimes just that seems overwhelming!  I really dislike saying no to people, especially when it comes to serving others. But sometimes "no" is necessary to protect our marriage, family and home.  Still, as Christians, we are called to serve when we are able; to put the needs of others' above our own; to die to self. 

So, when then do we serve and when do we say no?  Only the Lord can tell us, as we seek His counsel and His will each time we are presented with an opportunity to serve...and then wait for His answer.  We can pray for His wisdom and for Him to provide someone else to meet the need if it's not us this time.  In reflecting on the above example, there are two things the Lord has laid on my heart. 
1)  Do protect your marriage, children and home and say no when you need to.
2)  Leave enough room in your schedule to say yes to unexpected opportunities to serve.  Be willing to give up the things of the world for the things of God.  If your week is as scheduled as the example above, not only is there no room for error, there is no room to serve!  Had I not over scheduled our family that week, I would have been able to serve my friend in her time of need.  So, it's about being ready and prepared to do the work that God will call us to do.

Challenge:  Are you doing too much?  Is there something you can let go of to ready yourself to be used by God to meet the needs of others?

Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for calling us to a life filled with the joy of serving others.  Help us remember to seek your will each time we are presented with an opportunity to serve.  Show us how we can create more room in our days so that you can use us to meet the needs of others.  May we, as Jesus did, find rest and rejuvenation in you when we are are weary.  In Jesus' name, we  pray.  Amen. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment