Friday, December 14, 2012

Perfect Answers


Pinterest Image
OK, so my latest struggle is the typical “going to school” kind of struggle.  Our 8th grader is bombarded by homework and dance.

She is in the dance concert at her school which means she has daily rehearsals.  Four days a week she leaves rehearsals to go straight to her dance studio.  By the time we get home, have dinner and a bath…I’m pooped.  We aren’t done yet.  She has homework.  Reading, math, history, Bible, computers.  Now, she is not a slacker.  She works ahead as best she can.  It’s the normal 8th grade stuff.

8th grade is the preparation for 9th grade…and beyond.

It is so hard to know what our children should do.  Greg so wisely said in the early days of parenting, “Just because they “could” do something, doesn’t mean they “should.”   So, I’m struck with, should she dance, should she stay up late and study, should she have a friend over, does she still need a bed time?

Pinterest Image
Should she? Could she?

Tonight as we sent our daughter to bed with her homework incomplete, I lament for not knowing, was this the right choice? Should we have allowed her to stay up late to finish the homework? Should we have not allowed her to enjoy some extra family time?  Should we have not allowed her the extra time to work on the Christmas train around the tree?

I don’t know if I’m doing this right.  I just know I have to hold on to Him who cares far more than I.  Hold on to Him who knows what is right and best.  So, how do I practically hold on?

When I’m looking for those perfect answers to the tough “Should she?” “Could she?” questions.  I need to find myself in prayer and in His Word.  Seeking, searching for Him to guide me.

I don’t believe He is hiding the answer from me, I believe He wants me to seek Him for every perfect answer. 

Challenge: For every difficult parenting situation you find yourself in the next two days, seek the Lord through prayer and Bible study for the perfect answer.  Take note of His perfect answers and share them with a friend to encourage them.

No comments:

Post a Comment