Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year?


It's the most wonderful time of the year!  Really???  Well, maybe for Johnny Mathis it is.  But for most people I know, Christmas has become the most stressful time of the year. Between having to buy presents for people who have everything, to attending parties and concerts, baking dozens of cookies, decorating, and not to mention trying to find the perfect gifts for our kids, it’s absolutely exhausting.  
I must confess that I had fallen into the mentality of, "If I can just get through Christmas...," but then the Lord convicted my heart of my terrible attitude.  I was reading in Matthew 1:23:
"Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son, and he will be called Immanuel (meaning, God is with us)."
It's a verse I've read countless times in my life, however, the other evening it was as if the Holy Spirit spoke directly to me, "Dawn, God is with you.  He loves you and He understands your struggles.  He catches your tears when they fall.  He rejoices in your victories and cries in your defeats.  He knows the stress you are carrying and the burdens that are weighing you down.  He is with you."
I don't know if I could ever hear a better message than that one.  The words "God with us" infuse hope into any trial or situation we may be facing.  At times, this past year has been quite emotional.  Some days, I’ve felt able to do the impossible, whether it be in parenting, homeschooling, or ministry.  Other days, I’ve longed to stay in bed, hide from the world, and watch movies on my laptop all day.  The gentle reminder that the Creator of the Universe is with me, helps redirect my attention as I anticipate the close of this year by celebrating the birth of Immanuel.
He came down for us; weak, wounded, weary and wretched though we are.  He wrapped Himself in flesh so we could live with Him in eternity.   Not only was He “with us” at the time of His miraculous birth, He still chooses to abide in our presence and contend with our weaknesses today. He speaks to us and leads us through His Word. He is an ever present help in times of trouble.  He desires to carry our burdens so we might find rest in Him.  He is with us right now.  
I find tremendous encouragement in knowing that God is still with me every day. No matter how many times I've blown it, been unfaithful and even fallen, He's still with me.  Only He can give me the grace to be the wife and mom He calls me to be. Only He can comfort me in my loneliness.  Only He can give strength in the midst of my weakness.  
This couple of weeks before Christmas I have purposed in my heart to let the words of Scripture redirect my focus towards the true meaning of the virgin birth.  I've been singing Christmas hymns with more fervor than ever as I meditate on the great doctrine they contain.  I’ve determined to have an Advent attitude, by focusing on the first coming and the eventual second coming of our Savior.  As I look at people's faces filled with fatigue and discouragement, I'm making it a point to wish them a "Merry Christmas."  During the one time of year, where we can actually say the name of Christ without getting into too much trouble, why shouldn't we?  By grace, we know the hope all of creation longs for- God with us.  Now, we need to make it a point to spread that message of truth to those around us.
  1. How’s your current attitude towards this Christmas season?
  2. How can you better help your family focus on the miracle of “God with us” this year?  

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you, Dawn! I have been finding that so many of our Christian friends have been in a decorating and shopping craze, and I am so over all that! I am thankful God put it on your heart to reevaluate the meaning of Christmas. We all (include me) need to be reminded that Jesus' birth is the reason we celebrate Christmas, and that everything else that is not Christ-centered can be such a sneaky distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa! You are definitely right about all the other "stuff" being such a sneaky distraction. Here's to having a Christ-focused Christmas :)

      Delete