Friday, November 2, 2012

More Memories from Marco Island



           I mentioned a couple of posts back, I had taken a trip with Hope and her friend to Marco Island.  On our first morning I sat alone on our rooms balcony with an unobstructed view of the Gulf of Mexico.  The water was as smooth as glass and crystal clear.

I loved the early morning activity.  I enjoyed watching the staff tote kayaks, beach chairs and umbrellas to the gulfs edge.  I watched as children raced to be the first to touch the shore. It was interesting watching a small tractor “rake” the sand.  There were tiki huts dotting the soft sand. 

Yet, there were two sights that made the biggest impression.

There was a beautiful sandcastle that stood over six feet tall.  It was obviously done by a sculptor.  It even had delicate lace cut detail around the turrets.   Later in the day we would go and have our picture made with this incredible work of art.

The other sight I was particularly interested in was a formation of rose petals and palm branches strewn about one of the tiki huts. This was a blank canvas waiting for me to paint my own ideas of why the rose petals and palm branches were there.

My imagination lead me to conclude there had been a wedding.  Maybe the night before we arrived, when the sun was setting a wedding had been preformed.  On this Saturday morning, I watched as the employees came out and picked up the palm branches and swept the petals into a pile of debris.

I thought about the months and days earlier that would have gone into planning the palm branches and rose petals as decorations.  Now, it was gone.  In fact the bride and groom may have no memory of what I found impactful.

Impactful?  Well, yeah.  I mean so many marriages fail. Things happen.  People change.  Life isn’t what we thought it would be. People don’t keep their promises.

To me the palm branches and rose petals were the reminder that things change and are forgotten.  I want my marriage to Greg to be ever growing.  I want to make the resolve that although the flowers have surely died and literally thousands of days have passed since our wedding day I want to give Greg my best.  I want to be his best friend, his best confidant, his best encourager, his best helpmate.

Moms, its so easy to focus on the demands of those underfoot.  To get caught up with play dates, and car pools, and even caring for the needs of others outside our families, that we forget the most important.  Every day activities are the process and therefore ARE important.
It really is no big deal if we forget the palm branches and rose petals!  Lets just never forget the most important part of our vows, our vow to God and to each other, to be the very best, “til death do us part.”

Prayer:

Father God, Sometimes my life is like those things on the beach.  My foundation gets shaken. Will you please help me not to be distracted by the urgent? Please help me to gracefully accept the changes in my life.  Please show me how I can be my spouse’s “Best.”  I love you Lord.”

Challenge:  Read Matthew 5: 24 - 27.  Let God speak to you personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment