Saturday, November 10, 2012

Brotherly Love

 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. - Philippians 2:3-4

Today my oldest son was blessed to go see a play with my mom's preschool class. He walked with the other kids to the theatre, around the block from the school, and was thrilled to spend extra time with his "Mimi." While he was at the play, I was blessed to go off and spend some one-on-one time with my youngest son. We played and rode bikes at a park, shopped at Target, and stopped by the AT&T Store all in a 2 hour span!

While at Target, the Lord highlighted for me a sweet moment and encouraged me to blog about it. As soon as we entered those beautiful white and red doors my son quickly reminded me to get our "treat." Well since the park vending machines were broken earlier we decided to venture to Target and get a "treat" there instead. As we par oozed the isles of checkout counters to find our special item to spend our dollar on, my son asked me a question.

"Mommy, can we get James a treat too?"

I was so blessed as I heard his heart echo the heart of his older brother. Many times in past my oldest son when he is out has looked for ways to bring home a treat to his younger brother and now I see the impact that has had on my youngest.

Over the past few years we have stressed, in our family, that we are a team and need to look out for each other. A lesson we learned in one of our parenting classes, Growing Kids God's Way, that has been monumental in our life.  It was such a beautiful thing to see that fruit being lived out in my child today. As I prayed tonight with the kids, I praised both my oldest and youngest son... one for influencing his younger brother in a Godly way, and the other for looking for ways to bless his brother.

What about you?

Think about your day?

What is one thing your child did today that you can praise Jesus for?

Many times our eyes focus on the struggles instead of the successes.

Seek out your child today and praise them for ONE thing they did that blessed Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment