Thursday, November 29, 2012

ROAD TRIP CRAZY TURNED INTO COMFORT!


The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him. - 
Psalm 28:7 





It always happens. Never fails, every family trip we go on. Doesn't matter where we are or what we are doing, who we are with or how long we have been gone. It happens. A melt down. Yep. Everyone is exhausted and ready to get home. Parents are tired from driving and lack of normalcy and the kids are so off schedule that they are fighting or giving you a run for your money.


So we started a NEW family tradition last night as we sat at our Chick-fil-A table in Jacksonville scarfing down our meal.  We were trying to hurry so we could get kids in their pajamas and jump back on I-95.

SO WHAT IS IT??

We reminisced about our trip. Yep. We went around the fast food table and asked each other what our favorite part of our Thanksgiving weekend was. It was so refreshing. The kids shared the simple sweet things we had forgotten. This activity helped bring out smiles in us all and reminded us of the good times we had had, even though we were all mentally and emotionally at a place of exhaustion. I watched as the heaviness of our meal was lifted and we laughed and praised the Lord for all the blessings HE allowed us to experience as we visited family and friends in north Florida.

I told my husband this is one tradition we will continue because it made us each smile and give thanks for those great memories made. *NOTE* My husband and I also didn't eat and decided to get something for us after the kids were asleep in the car...this allowed for us to manage the kids better too! 

What do your family road trips typically look like?

What are some things you have learned help relieve stress when you are exhausted?

Feel free to share suggestions below!  

No comments:

Post a Comment