Monday, November 12, 2012

Live. Learn. Pray. SHARE


Everbody sins. Everybody blows it once in a while. So, which is better? Learning from your mistakes or learning from somebody elses? I would say, both. I want to learn from my own dumb mistakes, but I don’t want to experience every bad decision for myself. I want to have the wisdom to look on at someone else’s mistake, see the consequences, and NOT make the same decision they did. I want the same thing for my children.
I am going through a new children’s bible with my oldest Doodlebug that I absolutely love. It is called the “Little Boys Bible Storybook for Mothers and Sons”. Why do I like it so much? Well for starters, it is written in plain, yet detailed language that is perfect for my little guy. It also has a note at the end of each story that helps my son apply the story to his life. This little section is called, “Becoming a Man of God”. But even better that, there is a section called, “Mom’s Touch” at the end of each story that allows me, the mom, to give a practical example from my own life.

One day after reading the story of Adam and Eve and their disobedience, the “Mom’s Touch” section said the following:
                “Ok, Mom, it’s important for your son to know that sometimes you sin. Tell him about a time when you did something wrong. Were you punished? How did you handle that punishment?

                Reinforce to your son that everybody make mistakes and bad choices. When we do, we should admit and accept the punishment that is given. We can learn from our mistakes and hopefully not make the same mistake over and over. Remind your son that God loves him not matter what—and so do you!
                A Verse to Remember: No matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can remove it. I can make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Isaiah 1:18 (NIrV)

 So…one day in particular when my little guy was really pushing my buttons (intentionally) and having a hard time with disobedience, and complaining a lot (Whew!), I told him a part own story. I told him that I gave my mom a really hard time when I was in high school. I told him that I wasn’t respectful, I wasn’t grateful, I didn’t listen very well, and the results were not very pretty. I received consequences, and I put a strain on the relationship between me and my mom (his grandma).
He was shocked! I told him that she loved me through it all, but I bet she didn’t have much fun with me. She probably felt very sad and frustrated at times. I told him that is exactly what sin does: it separates! It separates us from those we love, because sin puts a strain on the relationship.

He thought about it for a second, and made his own little demonstration with his hands to show me what separation looks like. I then told him that I would always love him, but I also want to enjoy hanging out with him…just like God wanted to enjoy fellowship with Adam & Eve in the garden. I wanted us to have fun together! In his own little way, he seemed to get the gist of what I was saying. He didn’t stop sinning altogether…of course!, but he has been more aware of his actions. He has even apologized a few times on his own for not listening the first time.
Moms, when we share our own stories with our children, we make Christ real to them. They get to see up close and personal what the Christian life looks like on a daily basis. They get to see how important it is for Mommy and Daddy to walk in obedience to Christ. The hope is that they will follow our lead and develop their own personal walk with the Lord. Mom’s, let’s strive to make the message of Christ and a surrendered life real to them. Let’s Live, Learn, Pray, and SHARE. J

1 comment:

  1. I love that example for sin seperating us from God and how it can seperate us as parent and child. What a perfect picture. Thank you for sharing. I will be using that:) Thanks friend. Love you!

    ReplyDelete