Thursday, November 15, 2012

MORE, MORE, MORE!

“From all of our beginnings, we keep reliving the Garden story.

Satan, he wanted more.  More power, more glory.  Ultimately, in his essence, Satan is an ingrate.  And he sinks his venom into the heart of Eden.  Satan’s sin becomes the first sin of all humanity: the sin of ingratitude.  Adam and Eve are, simply, painfully, ungrateful for what God gave.

Isn’t that the catalyst of all my sin?

Our fall was, has always been, and always will be, that we aren’t satisfied in God and what He gives.  We hunger for something more, something other.”

(One Thousand Gifts – Ann Voskamp)

Not only do we hunger for more but we also feel darn right entitled to it.  I hate that that is true…but it is.  It is the attitude of the world.  We are surrounded by it and unfortunately we often buy into it…INGRATITUDE.

We don’t think we should be treated badly or that we should have to go without anything.  We don’t think we should have to suffer or be burdened by someone else’s sin.  We never have enough of anything and we always want more. 

This behavior in my kid’s means that no matter what mom does it is never enough.  I could make them a good home cooked meal and dessert then they want more or something different.  One piece of candy is not enough, “Can’t we have just one more?” they ask.  “Can’t you buy me this?  Everyone else has one?”  MORE, MORE, MORE!

Ingratitude and entitlement, it has got me thinking what am I entitled to?  Well, it isn’t pretty.  I am entitled to death, hell, and eternal separation from God but instead I have a beautiful savior who died for me.  I have a God that loves me so much that He wants fellowship with me and He provided the way for me to have that through His son, Jesus Christ.  What a gift He has given and all the extras are gifts too not entitlements.  I have so much to be thankful for. 

I loved Dawn’s blog, “Cultivating an Attitude of Gratitude.”  Her family recently started a gratitude journal.  What a great way to kick off the week before Thanksgiving with the start of a gratitude journal.  Instead of focusing on all those Black Friday deals I challenge you to make a list of 100 things that you and your family are grateful for. 

“He who sacrifices thank offerings honors me, and he prepares the way so that I may show him the salvation of God.”  Psalm 50:23

Lord, give me a heart that is satisfied in you and all that you give me.  Everything that I have is from you and everything including this life is a gift.  I deserve nothing but Your mercy is great and Your love beyond my understanding.  Thank You Father for all that You are doing in me and around me.  You are beautiful and are making me beautiful.  Thank You for loving me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment