Tuesday, June 12, 2012

THINK Before You Speak (Part 1)


What a picture! Seriously, I think the tongue is the most difficult part to tame, and the one that gets us into the most trouble. There are so many verses to be found throughout Scripture warning and edifying us to control our tongues, from beautiful descriptions of wise words being likened to honeycomb or apples of gold set in silver to hasty and foolish words being compared to sword thrusts or a great forest set ablaze by a small fire. Our words have power and can set the tone for how our home is run. Consider this quote:

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration, I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides…"
~ Goethe


I am sure we have all heard the expression, "If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy". I have recently set my heart to consider the effects my words have on our home, our children, our marriage, and other relationships and hope to spend the next several weeks working on taming my tongue and teaching by example as I instruct my children to do the same. Being that this is such a grand undertaking, I hope to work through this endeavor by focusing on one thing at a time and really working to make this life change one that is realistic and permanent.

This week, the focus is on where it all begins, in the mind. We have all had those moments where just before the words come out of our mouths, we feel that tug in our spirit that warns us to tread carefully or not to say anything at all. The goal this week is to train our minds to listen to and for that voice and keep in tuned to it at all times. In essence T.H.I.N.K. before we speak and not ignore the Spirit within us attempting to guide our conversations.

This is a great one to post in and around your home to remind your kids what kind of speech is acceptable, especially when it comes to siblings. I am committing this to memory and working this week to make it a part of my filter before I open my mouth and pray you will be inspired to do the same. We may find ourselves silent more often, but that may not be such a bad thing... (Prov 17:28- ouch!) Let's pray!

Gracious Lord, You are the giver of life and the originator of this gift we have to communicate with our words. Please teach us to tame our tongues and use our words to bring life and edification rather than to tear down and cause destruction in our homes. This week I commit to praying for Your Holy Spirit to guide my conversations and be the filter that every thought runs through before it comes out of my mouth. Please help my words to be true, helpful, inspiring, necessary, and kind. If they are not, please let Your voice resound in my mind as a warning to stop speaking, and may every failure be a lesson learned that brings me one step closer to my goal of self-control over my tongue. Even as I take this small step, may I see the fruit in the mood and tone of my home as well as in my relationships with others. May my husband and children be blessed to see this change and inspired to do the same. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. 




 

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Will definitely be working on it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was great, thanks! I definitely need to work on this too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I will Join you in this, Tammy!

    ReplyDelete