Saturday, June 2, 2012

Taken Away by Technology


Our family LOVES technology. We have the IPHONE, IPAD, MAC computer, and all the gadgets that go along with each one. Amazing apps have been created that my children absolutely love (i.e.  Easy Bake Cupcake- which my two year old has now learned how to successfully post to Facebook). Some apps are even educational and tutorial in nature which helps in having an interactive home schooling experience.




The Lord has recently pressed on my heart just how consumed my life has become with technology. How consumed our family has become with this wonderful invention and helper. One day I noticed how much it had become an idol in my life.  In my family's life. 


Definition of idol:
                  "anything that people worship as a god instead of God."


I found myself wanting to check my email and Facebook many times a day. I was investing my time into something with no eternal return/reward.  I was reading status updates of people I barely knew. I was checking my email. I was consumed. I made it an idol in my life.  I allowed it to become an idol in my family's life as well. I sat and thought of how my boys are ALWAYS enamored with going on "Daddy's IPAD" or phone to play games and had they had been sucked in by the "idol" as well. 




I stepped back and pondered what I was doing. Rushing in to check in on the computer instead of rushing in to check in with my heavenly Father. Why wasn't I spending those few moments quickly reading a verse or two. Lifting up a much-needed prayer. Doing those things that would truly help  me when I struggle through my day as a mommy.  Because I had allowed something else to take HIS place.  


I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. - John 17:4


I don't want to miss any of the "work that you gave me to do" Lord because my eyes were focused elsewhere. Please  help me to cling to you when other things try to steal my heart and devotion. Allow me to seek your face in those few free moments I have so that I am able to glorify you here on earth. Help me to instill in my kids the value of spending even a few moments in your WORD and the impact it can have on my day. 

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone, friend. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete