Saturday, June 9, 2012

Don't Sheild but Educate


My son recently watched an episode, on Nickelodeon for Kids, called "Mike the Knight." At first I was thrilled my son was excited to watch a show about being brave and knightly. Then as I paused the other day to watch it the more weary I became. One character on the show, Evie, who cast spells on objects, is in training to become a witch.


My first gut reaction was to turn it off and shield my kids from Satan's subtle way of weaving witchcraft into cartoons. I brought my concerns to my husband and asked if he preferred they stop watching the show... knowing he would give me sound Biblical advice. James, my husband, reminded me of the opportunity placed before me. To sit down, view it with my children alongside me and allow it to be a learning experience.  So I did just that!


The next time they asked to watch "Mike" I plopped down to watch it with them. We pushed pause numerous times throughout the video to share who witches worship (Satan) and how Satan feels about us. How he wants to steal, kill and destroy us. What God's word says about witchcraft (and witches). How much God loves us and how Satan does not. I reminded them of just how much OUR God loves them and how he wants us to worship Him alone.  Simple in words but deep rooted in truth.


I shared this "sitting and sharing" concept recently with a friend struggling with a family member who has been making some hurtful comments to her while in front of her kids. I reminded her that even in that hurtful situation there is lessons learned and taught to our little ones. What God's word says about our words, and the type of words that should come out of our mouth (Eph. 4:29). We can love and pray for those (enemies) who are hurtful to us (Matt. 5:44).  Truth shared in times of trial! Turning what Satan meant for evil into something Christ can use for good!!


You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good - Genesis 50:20


Sometimes I can shelter my kids so much that I forget there is a world out there that they will be exposed to once out of my sight. So rather than shield them, why not sit down and expose them to it with me alongside them to share what HIS word says and allow my counsel to teach them truth instead of allowing others to do that work. 


What lesson can you teach your child today because of something "intended to harm" but you allowed God to use it for good?


Pray that Christ gives you opportunities each day to "sit and share" Truth as you continue to build a firm foundation in your child! 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this timely advice. It is a scary thing to let your kids rub elbows with the world we face today. However, brave decisions and patient teaching such as what you chose to practice here will equip our children for the future. In teaching them to think critically about the world, we teach them to stand on their own and equip them to counsel others in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! We need to teach our children how to process the things that they are exposed to so that they won't be shaken or shocked out of their minds...especially as the go off to college. Thank you for the reminder, Kate!

    ReplyDelete