Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Be Alert



I can’t tell you how many times I do this, and I know you probably do too. Drink my coffee, listen to Way FM, and even check Facebook at a red light. Sometimes, I even add a few more tasks to my driving routine. Tasks such as; getting Sippy cups and snacks, changing the DVD, or trying to solve a fight between the boys in the backseat.
The other day, it hit me. I’m so distracted! I didn’t even notice the homeless man approaching my car. It was my son who noticed him first. WOW! However, who convicted me the most of my every growing problem with distraction, was my 2 ½ year old son.
A few months ago I was distracted checking Facebook at the red light and drinking my coffee, when he says, “Mommy pray.” At first, I ignored him, too engrossed in what others had to say on the Social Media tube. So, he got louder, “Mommy pray!” I answered him, “What is it Skylar?” He pointed then to fire trucks and ambulances and sirens of all kinds. My sweet son wanted to pray for the people that these men and women were going to.  So, I did just that. We prayed.
From that day on, each time Skylar hears sirens, he says, “Mommy pray.” He will even pray, “ In Jesus Name, Amen”  Sometimes it takes a moment like this to remind me and all of us of how distracted we are with the meaningless things in life.

My son, reminded me that there are more important things to be consumed with and thinking about as I am driving. I need to be aware of my surroundings.  He reminded me that someone is in need of prayer, somewhere. Each time we hear a siren, it reminds us to pray for the police officers and fire fighters who risk their lives to protect us each day. We pray for the EMT paramedics who arrive on scene of accidents and ask God to give them wisdom to help the injured. We pray for the homeless we see on the street, and when God leads us, we help them.
I thank Jesus for my sons and the convictions I receive from them to be a better Christian, wife, and Mom each day.
-Lena
"And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints."
Ephesians 6:18 NIV



"So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled."
1 Thessalonians 5:6 NIV

4 comments:

  1. So true Lena! We are all so consumed with the things in life, honestly, that matter the least. Many times I am convicted over how often I check the social media but yet I forget to check in with my heavenly Father who has wisdom and encouragement for my day! Daily I need to pray that I change my priorities and let go of the things that have no eternal value and cling to the things that do :) Praise God - He uses our kids to remind us of what is important :) Love how he does that! Great blog girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fruit, Lena, that your Skylar's first thought was to pray! It touched my heart. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Lena! Thank you so much for sharing! I often struggle with being distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! Thanks for your post and for your prayers!!! We pray when we hear sirens too ;)

    ReplyDelete