Friday, June 15, 2012

A Shine Like "the Top of the Chrysler Building" isn't Just for the Play Annie anymore...


My husband and youngest daughter have a Saturday morning tradition.  It starts with Greg parading through the house “YARD SALE!”  The two of them gather their coins and ball caps and head out on a hunt.

They have occasionally called or sent pictures back from a yard sale to ask my opinion if they should buy or not.  One of the pictures I received while they were out one Saturday morning was a large china cabinet.

I told Greg we had no need for such a piece.  He told me it was in good condition with glass all in place and beautiful lined drawers.  He said we could even paint it if we wanted to.  I was VERY hesitant.  When he said it was $25.00, I told him to move the seats in the van and “load her up!”

If they had a particularly successful Saturday the week before, its hard for the rest of us to resist the sing-songy “Yard Sale.”  So we too roll out of bed and join them on their hunt.

On one of those Saturdays we found ourselves at a yard sale when I noticed this.

This old dirty tea pot stuck in the corner, had potential and for $3.00, I brought it home.  I’ve shined it up and now it shines like “the top of the Chrysler Building!”

            I tell you this story, not so you will envy my possessions, or even our ability to find hidden treasures.  I want to remind you that we like the china cabinet and tea pot, find ourselves day in and day out with little ones or big ones, who we kind of just “shake our heads” at.

            Will they ever get it?

            Christ is our Redeemer.  To redeem means:

To purchase back; to ransom; to liberate or rescue from captivity or bondage

Job 19:25 As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives,

            Moms, each of our babies (and it doesn’t matter their age) has potential.  God is using us to shine them up.  To minister to them.  To deposit His Truth in their souls.  Their hearts will have to submit and fall madly in love with our Savior.  I am confident that even when we don’t see their potential (or ours) Christ is smiling, knowing He has already “bought us back.”  And it won’t be long before we too, will be shining like “the top of the Chrysler Building!”

No comments:

Post a Comment