Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Faith, Hope and Love - Part 1

Hi ladies, I'm Ingrid.  I've been an avid Parakaleo reader for the last few months and a huge fan of its founder and contributors!  True to its namesake and purpose, this daily blog has admonished, strengthened, consoled, encouraged, comforted and taught me.  I look forward to reading it each morning and I am grateful the Lord blessed me with this blog early in my role as a mom. He knew I would need it!  I guess He also knew He would lead me to contribute.  It is my privilege to serve Him and my prayer that what I share glorifies Him and parakaleos you.

 By way of introduction, I'd like to share our journey to parenthood.  On April 22, 2007, I married my beloved husband, Jeff.  Jeff likes to say that "timing is everything."  I've heard him say it often, but he recently improved the phrase to "God's timing is everything."  He liked the new version so much, he even suggested it for the title of this blog!  That is so like my husband - always thinking of how he can help.  So, I have to admit, I had a timetable in mind for our first child.   Now, I've always known that God sends the babies when He's ready, but as a newlywed, I wanted some time with my husband first.  Planner that I am, I suggested to Jeff that we wait a year and travel a bit before we have a baby. Well, our God is a planner, too, but sometimes his timing is different than ours.  He agreed that we should wait a while before conceiving, but He intended us to wait longer than we did.  Are you waiting on the Lord for something?

Faith...is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see. Hebrews 11:1

 So we traveled.  We prayed.  We waited.  We "tried."  (LOL.  How I think the Creator of life must laugh when we humans "try" to have a baby!) We tested - all good.  We prayed.  We waited some more.  God taught me two things during my wait.  The first was that my faith was stronger than I thought!  I believed with all my heart and mind that God was going to bless us with a child and that, even if He didn't, His plan was better than mine.  The second was that he would bring dear friends to my side during my wait, and that he would use them to speak to me.  I remember walking into a Bible study one evening and my friend Franci telling me, "I just know God is going to give you a baby."  I got goosebumps when she said that because I knew it was true.  After two years, we prayed about next steps.  My doctor recommended Clomid.  My friend, Fran, recommended fasting.  We chose the latter.  My husband and I had never fasted and prayed over something together before.  What a great reason to start!   We fasted and read 1 Samuel 1 and 2 together, which recount Hannah's prayer for a child and her prayer of praise when the Lord gifts her Samuel.  We prayed, believing in God's plan and asking for his wisdom.  I remember going for a run on the beach in the evening, after fasting the entire day.  I listened to worship music and felt like I could run for ever!  I must have run at least five miles.  God filled me with such faith and energy!  It was invigorating.

One week later,  I was pregnant!  Wow - what a powerful answered prayer!  Tears of joy and awe at our Lord's faithfulness streamed down my face as I showed the test to my husband.  What an awesome God we serve!

So, my dear, what are you waiting on God for?  Would you consider fasting, while praying for His direction?  Be certain He will answer. While you wait, do you have an answered prayer to share?

 Dear Heavenly Father,

Thank you for the gift of faith.  Thank you for our answered prayers - may we use them to glorify you.  Lord, we know that you have a plan for our lives and that your timing is perfect.  So we thank you, too, for the times when we will wait.  Use these times, Father, to draw us ever closer to you as we seek your direction.  Let us be certain that you will answer.  In Jesus' name, we pray.  Amen.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing your story. And thank Jeff on my behalf, I will adopt his phrase "God's timing is everything". I also look forward to reading this blog every morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully written my dear friend! I am so excited you have decided to blog, I know I will glean so much from your writings and your journey with our Lord! Thank you for being faithful for we will all benefit! Love ya girl oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was beautiful! What a testimony to who HE is! In those times of waiting HE is making the way we will walk in. Sometimes we don't quite see the whole plan but HIS will is perfect and I am grateful you shared that my friend! Great job! Can't wait to read your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comments and encouragement, ladies! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great testimony, Ingrid! Thank you for the reminder that God's timing is everything!

    ReplyDelete