Friday, June 1, 2012

Building a Wall?


What a joy it has been to study the book of Nehemiah over the last two months!

Nehemiah recounts the rebuilding of the Wall of Jerusalem. Of the many things I have been challenged with in this study, I have found myself pondering an obscure phrase that repeats itself in the midst of the litany of names in Nehemiah 3.

         This time, the phrase “they laid its beams and put is doors and bolts and bars in place” continued to pop out to me.  I realized that Jerusalem would soon have a wall.

The purpose of this wall like all others is to protect. The wall around Jerusalem was built (and rebuilt) specifically to protect God’s people.  The wall kept out any harm that may affect God’s people. 

So why would “they laid its beams and put is doors and bolts and bars in place” be of particular importance to me?   As I considered my responsibility as a mom I grasped again, how important it is for me to watch what comes in and out of our home.  The focus becomes not the “wall” but the gates, the doors, the beams.  What am I allowing to reach my child? From television, to people, to music, to social media of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagrams….I must take a proactive approach to the beams the doors and bars.  They must be all fortified until our children are ready to build their own walls.

My question to you today is, “how are the doors and bars and beams” surrounding your child’s world?  How is the wall around your child’s world and His heart?  May you enjoy your building today!  Celebrate your interaction and opportunity to build for and with your child.  May we be like Nehemiah and celebrate God’s miraculous completion!

No comments:

Post a Comment