Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Washable" Ink


I was busy about my daily housecleaning duties, dusting the bedroom when I heard, "Oh no! Messy blue!" coming from my daughter Selah's bedroom. Selah is almost 3, and just recently I brought out some of my old teaching supplies, including an extensive collection of rubber stamps and scented ink pads, for her to use under supervision. Well, while I was moving things to get into those cracks and crevices for a deep cleaning, I had left the stamps and ink pads out on the floor where Selah happily dove right in and began sniffing the blueberry ink. Below is the result-
After snapping a few pictures, I reached for the baby wipes and began attempting to clean her up. Much to her and my frustration, the ink just would not wash off. I grabbed the ink pad and once again checked to make sure it said washable, which, of course, it did. But apparently this is a term some companies use loosely (if you have used the new, brightly-colored 'washable' bubble set, you know what I'm talking about!). So, I went ahead and took my little smurf on our errands that morning, blue nose and all. Two baths later, the blue finally wore off.

Aren't we glad that Jesus uses a much more precise method for washing us clean of our sins? His guarantee to make us whiter than snow is a promise we can rest in and rely on. No sin scrubbing required, just confession and repentance. I love that we can use that analogy to teach our children when life's little messes arise. I am also relieved that the blue ink eventually wore off and now take better care to keep those ink pads out of inquisitive hands unless mommy is watching.  Let's pray together!

Father, we thank you so much that your definition of washable is so much more accurate than how the world uses this term. Thank you for so thoroughly and completely cleansing us of our sins when we repent and not making us wait and wonder if forgiveness and redemption will ever come. Please help us to use these little messes that come in a mommy's life to teach our children Your truths and how to look to Your Word for wisdom in daily life. Please wash us whiter than snow, cast our sins to the bottom of the ocean floor and please do not allow us to go fishing, instead may we receive the blessing of true forgiveness. We are yours, Lord. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment