Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Teach, Talk, Tie

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.  These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.  Teach them to your children.  Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:5-9

"They are not just idle words for you (Moses speaking to Israelites)-they are your life.  By them you will live long in the land you are crossing the Jordan to possess" Deuteronomy 32:47

It was December 31, 2009 and I was sitting on my back patio trying to think of my New Year's promise to the Lord.  I wanted to make Him a promise that would be hard for me to keep. In years past I had completed the "Daily Walk" Bible which takes you through the Bible in a year. The year 09' had been a "hit or miss" year for me regarding my consistency in reading His Word. As I pondered this, I decided that this new year, 2010, would be the year of committing to read the Word everyday, beginning in Genesis and finishing with Revelation by the end of the year. No devotion bible, no commentaries, just me and Him running through the pages of His Word at a marathon pace. I knew this would be a challenge considering our family's hectic life schedule.  However, the Lord deserved my devotion.

Life was in full swing at the Cudmore house January 1, 2010! At the time my son Samuel was in 9th grade and my daughter Bailee was in 7th grade.  My husband Darin had started a new job and I was teaching multiple fitness classes each week. As I began my journey reading daily, I purposed in my heart to read from the prospective of seeking to know God's character.   Whether I was reading about Creation in Genesis or the lineage of the Kings in Chronicles, the Lord began to reveal to me truths about Himself that I never truly knew or believed.

One February morning, I was reflecting on the fact that I did not read the Bible from beginning to end until I had been a Christian for 7 years. We were created for God's glory for the purpose of making Him known.  To love Him and others. How can we make Him known if we don't truly know Him?  How can we truly love if we do not know how He loves? I concluded the only way is to be in His word consistantly.  Psalm 119 tells us, we can keep our way pure by living according to His word, if we hide His Word in our hearts we will not sin against Him. "Your Word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path" (Psalm 119:105). "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any two-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12).  In light of these thoughts, I began to consider my children, Samuel and Bailee. Life was racing by at light speed.  High School would be no different. I realized we only had 3 1/2 years until Sam would be off to college.  Then and there, I purposed to begin a family run through the Bible. Our goal was and currently is, to read the Bible in it's entirety before the end of Sam's high school career, May 2014.

On February 4, 2010 The Cudmore foursome began our mission. Being goal orientated, I estimated how many books a month we'd have to complete to accomplish the task. As a family we meet at the breakfast table every morning Monday-Friday 7a.m. The weekends are some what variable. This is not a time for in depth Bible study however, it is a time to open the Word and read aloud as a family.  Sometimes there is more discussion then others. As we chewed through the Book of Leviticus-it was a time of being obedient. It is always a time when the Lord moves in and through us. He interacts with us individually and as a family unit. We may not always feel or see it but we know.  How do we know?  Because we know Him and He promises His word will NEVER returns void (Isaiah 55:11). "The Word of the Lord is flawless" (Psalm 18:30 &Proverb 30:5). It is supernatural and a work of the Holy Spirit.  Jesus was the Word (John 1). We recently finished the Book of Job.  As we were approaching it, I must admit I was somewhat dreading it..."sorry Lord". Needless to say, as we began reading, we learned about ourselves. God used the Book of Job to correct, rebuke and encourage us (1Timothy 4:2)  We were reminded that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts, but thanks be to the Lord for He is good, His love endures forever (Isaiah 55:8 7 Psalm 100).

I want to challenge you..... parent of a teenager! If you have not read through the entire Bible yourself or with your children, do it! I believe as Christian parents it is our responsibility to read through the Bible from beginning to end at least once while they are under our care. You don't need to be legalistic about it, just faithful. If you miss a day for what ever reason, make it up the next. Be encouraged!  It is never too late to establish the habit of reading the Word as a family. Make a verbal commitment as a family, your children will love being part of that family decision. Sometimes my daughter will remind me we need to read. Often times my son adds insight on scriptures we read that he has also learned in school. It builds unity within your family. "Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken" (Ecclesiastes 4:12). The Lord holds us together. It's not parents verses the children. It's parents, children, and the Lord against the enemy that tries to destroy our families.  As your family commits to doing this it changes your way of living, which changes your life!  You become a family that God can and will use! That's a promise.....not mine but His! Teach, talk, and tie....He does the rest!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord,  my Rock and my Redeemer!(Psalm 19:14)

Samuel: "It starts us out on the right track every morning. I have a greater understanding of God's Word than just what I learn at church and school."

Bailee: "I helps me know a lot of answers in Bible Class.  It has given me a solid foundation and depth of God's Word instead of just knowing the main verses like John 3:16."










1 comment:

  1. I loved this post! I do not have teenagers, but it is an encouraging challenge for any family that loves the Lord. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete