Friday, May 11, 2012

Mom is the Gift!


Image found on Google Images

          I keep finding myself meditating on 
John 1: 16.  From the New International Version,  “From the fullness of His Grace we have received one blessing after another.” NAS says “…One gracious blessing after another.”

            In light of another Hallmark victory, called Mother’s Day, I am reminded how God has blessed me over and over with the privilege of being a mom.  It is His Grace to have opened up one “blessing” (or child) after another.

            However, my focus on Mother’s Day isn’t me as a mom, rather it is on my Mom.  I am ever so very blessed to have been raised by such a wonderful woman.  I am flooded with memories of her love and care for me and my brothers.

            Mom always kept things fun.  To this day, she reminds me not to take life so seriously and laugh often.  I remember riding through the neighborhood in our big station wagon. (Do you remember the ones with the “wood sides?”) Once, while riding we weren’t sure we were looking at a statue or a dog on the side of the road.  Mom’s response was to roll down the window and bark.  (We still aren’t sure who was more surprised with her barking, the dog or the kids in the car!)

Mom would always find someone else for our family to help.  Whether is was a Christmas holiday spree, a meal or a ride for someone in need, she was the first to offer her help. 

Mom loves unconditionally.  She doesn’t keep a record of our wrongs.  She has always believed that we learned from our wrongs and it would never happen again.  Mom sees the best in everyone.

My Mom is a gift of God’s grace.  I daily see how His grace is poured out through my mom’s kindnesses and love.  Mom is my gift for Mother’s Day!

Although Hallmark doesn’t always have the exact wording or pictures I would choose for my mom, God’s Word is perfect for this holiday from The Message: 

“We all live off His generous bounty gift of gift after gift.”

No comments:

Post a Comment