Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Wise Homemaker

Through wisdom a house is built,
And by understanding it is established;
By knowledge the rooms are filled
With all precious and pleasant riches. 
-Proverbs 24:3-4

The job of a the mother, as a homekaker, is a tremendously fulfilling career, and a crucial responsibility. So many women today have bought into the notion that it isn't enough and that they need to seek fulfillment outside the home. But there is nothing more fulfilling than the role to which God has called mothers. Many women who have bought into the social pressure and have achieved corporate success are now realizing what they have lost by being out of their homes.

"Through wisdom a house is built." It takes real wisdom to create a home. "By knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches." It takes wisdom, understanding, and knowledge to be a homemaker; but it is one of the most fulfilling careers imaginable!
------------------------
I came across the above commentary as I was doing my daily devotion in Proverbs. I was encouraged and convicted too! Encouraged as I was reminded of my value as I sacrifice the luxuries of this life for the "riches" I am hoping to impart in my children. Convicted because as I look at my friends, past and present, many have shared they must go back to work, and I have missed opportunities to remind them of the truth stated above. 


There is value in staying home. It is a sacrifice. It does cost something monetarily, physically, spiritually and emotionally. 

I think in those moments we are questioning whether to stay home or not, we must ask ourselves what the motive is for going back to work. Is it to get the new car, bigger home, new wood floors (my dream for our rental home someday!), name brand items, going out to eat, vacations ect.? Some days I think I need those things because the world tells me I will be empty if I am without. Those items will break, rust and be on a hill buried someday. You won't look back at your life wishing you had worked more. 


Five years ago I stepped down from full-time teaching. I pushed pause on my profession to invest in the lives of my little people, who will impact the world. Has it always been easy? Ummm no way! Our finances were literally cut in half. Sometimes I wish we had more. We will. Just not now :)


This season is one of stretching the dollar & coupon cutting as we watch Jesus supernaturally provide for us. Countless stories are hidden in my heart (maybe in another blog post) of how the Lord blessed us with exactly what was needed at the perfect time. 


Every time I eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich I am reminded of our simplistic life but it is well worth it for the reward that we will reap someday.


I am not throwing stones, and I don't know your personal circumstance. Each situation is different, but I would just encourage you to seek His face on EVERY decision you make as a mom. Then you can stand firm because HE alone made those hard decisions for you and it will be a memorial for you to look back on in days to come.


Pray. Seek. Ask. HE will give you the wisdom needed.


If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. - James 1:5







1 comment:

  1. This post was awesome! And true! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete