Thursday, May 17, 2012

Waiting - The Fruit of Patience

“I wish I’d known then what I know now… Maybe then I would’ve recognized God’s unseen hand in all of it and would’ve met the frustration or disappointment with a wink and a smirk, knowing He was behind it all, that this interruption was merely His way of laying a foundation for better things. Maybe then I wouldn’t have tried so hard to control it or hurry through it but would’ve yielded to it and embraced what the Lord allowed.” (Priscilla Shirer – Life Interrupted)


Yield and embrace what the Lord allowed! Does that make you scared or want to scream? The Lord allows some pretty nasty things to happen in our lives here on earth. It is His gift of free will. Something that we would never want taken from us, but, something that brings a lot of pain. And when that pain comes, what do we do with it? Some people get scared or angry, others just plain old ignore it. This week my Pastor talked about one thing that so few do with their pain…“sit in it.”

I had another friend who once said something very similar. She said people are in such a hurry to get out of that dark place of pain that they don’t stop to pick up the little gifts God leaves along the way.

I shared with you in my blog last week that God has me in this place of waiting. Over the last few months that place of waiting has been filled with unendurable pain and sorrow. It has been a place that I want so badly to run from but can’t because God has said, “SIT.” By process of failure and consequence, I have learned that it is in my best interest and of all others involved for me to listen and obey God when He speaks that clearly to me. So here I “ SIT”

“Since I believe God has a direction to give me, I am more willing to patiently wait for His response before moving forward.” (Priscilla Shirer – Anointed, Transformed, Redeemed)

Patience is taught here in that dark place of pain. I have chosen to pick up that gift God has left me and been blessed beyond measure.

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9

“Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.” Hebrews 12:3


We are moms. We have beautiful little ones (and big ones:) to care for and love. When pain shows up, being mom does not stop. It is a huge responsibility because our kids are most likely affected in some way by our pain or are having their own pain. They are watching us; we are their example. What kind of example do we want to be? Do we want to be one that handles pain in an unhealthy way? Or do we want to teach our kids to be patient in pain; to stop and pick up those little gifts that God leaves; to wait for God's direction?

Life is full of all different kinds of pain and odds are you are having some of your very own right now. Beautiful, loved one of God, I want to encourage you to sit in it and draw near to God. Yield and embrace what the Lord allowed. Wait for His direction. He has purpose for your pain. Look for His gifts, expect them but don’t try and put our mighty God in a box. Who knows what your gifts may be because His thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not His ways (Isaiah 55:8).

3 comments:

  1. How very encouraging, Courtney, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully stated, a needed reminder to all of us. God is still on the throne, so we need to act like it and teach that to our kids in the process!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen, Courtney! Your life and surrender to God is an example to so many...including me! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete