Saturday, May 5, 2012

Push Pause and PRAY

  Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray.
 Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. 
                      -James 5:13

Many times in my life the Lord has shown up big because of a few simple words lifted up in faith. Some will laugh as I share that... I have even prayed for a good parking space and HE has provided. I have prayed for a meal and HE has provided.  I have prayed for wisdom (James 1:5) and HE has provided. I have prayed for friends and HE has provided. Prayer is a small act of obedience which requires faith in a God unseen who is very much alive and active, even if we don't get the results we want right away. Patience...HE is working :)


So with that said,  I shouldn't be surprised at what happened at church last night. Each week as we drive to church the three of us, the boys and myself,  pray to be "...good boys & behave and look for ways to serve our teachers." I can't tell you HOW many times I have fervently prayed that prayer with hopes of seeing change in our church experience. My older son has struggled with obedience to authority and I have been humbled and broken through this growing season. But I saw breakthrough tonight and I am excited to share how a small prayer was answered in a big way...



We prayed on our way to church. The boys struggled in the car. James again struggled on the church playground before going to children's ministry.  As he walked to class, crying and upset, my heart was frustrated. We prayed again in the bathroom right outside James' classroom, while internally I was questioning why I had come. I dropped him off and honestly felt bad for his teachers knowing he would probably exhaust them.


I went to church and, while singing worship, felt such conviction over my lack of patience with James. It's crazy how our kids can be an agent the Lord uses to clean out the ugliness within our hearts. When I went back to his class for pick up, I was so excited to just hug him and tell him how much I loved him. To my surprise, his teacher told me that he was great and James enthusiastically shared, "Mommy I asked my teachers how I could serve and they let me pass out the snacks today!" This was such a long-awaited answered prayer. That he would seek to "serve his teachers" and be a "good boy." The Lord hears every prayer we pray...and equally as important ....so do our kids. I watched as God showed up big last night and reminded me of truth.....that my prayer was heard even though it seemed like forever before it was answered. Thank you Jesus for being my friend and comfort. One who listens and at just the right time answers those long awaited prayers :)



How did the Lord speak to you through this blog?
What do you think He wants you to do about it?

1 comment:

  1. I need to stop and take the time to pray with our son more. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete