Thursday, May 24, 2012

Waiting - Where Our Strength Comes From

My oldest daughter suffers from thinking too much at bedtime. Something most of us women do; our brain just gets turning and it seems almost impossible to shut it off. Some nights she will get herself so worked up.  She has thought of everything that has or could go wrong, tears start to flow and sleep seems a lifetime away.

My heart goes out to her because I really do understand how she feels. I will lay with her, pray, and talk her through a little meditation. I first have her close her eyes, I pray for her, and then I have her picture her heart. In her heart, I have her picture a little light. I give her time to focus on that shimmering light, it’s bright but it keeps getting brighter and brighter until her heart is overflowing with light.

She loves this exercise. Once she has calmed down we talk about how that light is the Holy Spirit. She remembers that she has the Power of Jesus living inside her. She remembers that His light is so bright it can chase the dark away if she lets it.

In our season of waiting I am, just like my daughter, encouraged every time I am reminded of where my strength comes from. It is an awesome and much needed reminder because waiting on God can be exhausting if we don’t tap into that power of the Holy Spirit.

The greatness of our God is seen again… He sends us into battle but never alone. He is always with us and has perfectly equipped us with the power of His Holy Spirit. His strength!

“God will strengthen you with his own great power so that you will not give up when troubles come, but you will be patient.” Colossians 1:11 (NCV)

“For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose.” Philippians 2:13

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to his power that is at work within us, to him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” Ephesians 3:20-21

“I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living. Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the LORD!” Psalm 27:13-14  

“God is our refuge and strength an ever present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1

“Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, the Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might He increases strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall. But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:28-31

No comments:

Post a Comment