Sunday, May 13, 2012

"The Memory Box" by Patrice


Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.  -Proverbs 31:30



Mother's Day takes on a little bit of a different flavor for me. I lost my mom to cancer 18 years ago. So every year that day comes around I find myself calling special ladies that God has put in my life to help fill the void. Not to mention that my own daughter makes me feel like a million bucks.

It's a time for me to reflect on those special values that my Mom taught me, and that i've passed on to my daughter. Most important one being . . . the Lord.

Living in Minnesota, my first job at the age of 13 was corn detaseling. This entailed walking down long rows in corn fields. My job was to pull the tassel  out of the middle of the stalk. The hours were very early which ran into long days.  My Mom would write a little note to me in the morning saying, "have a good and happy day. When it's  terribly hot and you think it's unbearable, say a little prayer. It helps, Really! " Always confirming God's faithfulness. Not to mention that she'd pack me a lot of treats.  :-)   ( another mom's touch)

I've opened my special memory box of her. Reading all the cards and encouraging notes.
Reminiscing over the years we had together, tissues close by. Even though she's not here to tell me how much she loves me, the memory box holds special treasures that confirm that for me.

Perhaps you might like to start a memory box of your own, and for your son or daughter, as we never know what tomorrow holds. The journey you take together to fill it is sweet!
But it's contents one day just might become priceless!

Enjoy your Mother's crown ladies, it's a privilege!

No comments:

Post a Comment