Friday, July 5, 2013

Where Art Thou Going?

“Elise where art thou going,
Upstairs to take a bath,
Legs long and lean and lanky,
Neck like a Giraffe…
OH MY GOODNESS
OH MY SOUL
There goes Elise down the hole!”

            As a child, this was the fear.  No, it didn’t make practical sense but for a two year old, a three year old, it scarred the bageebies out of me!
            It was a song a great aunt sang to my mom who in turn taught the song to me.  It was meant to be a funny song about a little girl taking a bath who is so skinny she ended up going down the drain.
At this point, Hudson doesn't have a fear of the tub!
            I remember sitting in the tub as a very small, very literal peanut thinking I just might end up being sucked down the drain.  As we pulled the plug from the tub, I remember scampering out as quickly as I could to avoid the “tornactic swirl” that was the warning that I was on the verge of death.

            I couldn’t help but think of those emotions this week as I continue to study Gideon.  Judges 8: 19, “They were my brothers, the sons of my mother! As the Lord lives, if only you had let them live, I would not kill you.”
            Gideon is starting a pattern of action based on others words and actions.
            As I mother, I have given myself grace, maybe too much grace in this area.  We will plan, then we will see.  IF the children listen, then we will do this.  It’s almost like a ping pong match.  IF something happens on their side of the table, then I will respond based on what comes at me.
            Some of that is normal and natural, but I’m thinking I’ve been erring on the side of this as always acceptable.

            As I looked at Gideon and realized sometimes I too will stop making the Lord’s directives my primary concern.  My decisions, behavior and words are based on what someone (our children) do or don’t do or say.  How did I get sucked into this drain?  How did it happen so unexpectedly?
            In studying Gideon and thinking about Elise in the tub, I’m thinking the drain represents getting “caught in the moment.”  Even logically, determining what I think is best and right, rather than consulting the Lords plan for all that I do and say. 

            Even if you don’t know the tune to the above children’s song, be assured there is a drain waiting for you.  Of more importance than that, be assured that we have a Savior who is always available to give us the appropriate words and response to every parenting scenario.

2 comments:

  1. Didn't want this one to end :) What a cutie pie!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Joannie! Thank you for that insight!

    ReplyDelete