Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Names Mean Something


“A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches…” Proverbs 22:1a

When you went through the process of choosing a name for your baby, you thought it through, prayed, looked in books, maybe considered names in your family, and so on.  I remember when we were choosing a name for our second child, we didn’t know if baby was going to be a boy or girl until SHE was born.  The name was in front of us over and over, like God was using anything and everything to point out to us what her name was to be – at times it was hilarious. 

Then when we knew it had to be “Jordan” I asked the Lord what that name meant and why He wanted it to be hers.  I pray over her the words I believe God wants her to live – like the Jordan River, for her to be the way people come to the other side, to come to know God in the Promised Land.  Sometimes I pray over her the scripture verses I wrote in my pregnancy journal.  With our son Matthew I pray what his name means, “Gift of God.”  I tell them these things and pray they remember all their lives what their names mean. 

What does your child’s name mean?  Why did you choose that name?  Take a minute and go back to that sweet time of choosing.  Maybe for some it was just a cool name you liked.  Well then choose scripture to pray over your child.  Speak them into your child’s life so he/she can hear them in his/her head. 

“Therefore know that the LORD your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments.” Deuteronomy 7:9

Let us know what your child’s name means and/or why you chose it in the comment section below.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Laura. I havent shared the meaning with my children, what a great thing to do now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second that! Great idea to give them an identity in Christ! Thanks Laura <3

    ReplyDelete