Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Weakness. Friend or Foe?

"But he said to me, "my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my  weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.  That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

My daughter woke up looking somewhat weary and tired; weak.  You see she is a ballerina.  This summer she is training at a very challenging Ballet school.  Her body hurts, her emotions frayed, and spirit engaged in warfare. As she slowly made her way to our family room,  I asked her if she felt weak today.  She looked at me with a defeated expression and answered "yes".  I replied, "Great!" and proceeded to read her the verses above.

According to God, weakness is our friend.  According to the World, weakness is our foe.  It can be difficult to recognize and admit our weakness let alone our children's.  I know for myself, I just want weakness to leave me alone, to leave my daughter alone.  However, when we see the true identity of weakness as our friend and something to be embraced, we understand God's power in and through us.  It's so important to help our teenagers see this truth.  As they do, they feel secure in God's love and plan for their lives. They grow each day into the person we have been praying and continue to pray they become for Christ's glory and their good.

My prayer for us today as godly moms is that we will recognize weakness as our friend and do the same for our children.  That we would allow the Lord to work in and through weakness so that we can fulfill the two greatest commandments to love God and love others.



No comments:

Post a Comment