Friday, April 27, 2012

What would you do?


"Praise Be to the Lord, to God our Savior,
Who daily bears our burdens." 
Psalm 68: 19

I love the days when Hope is at dance and I get to meet a friend for coffee.  I was especially looking forward to this week’s coffee meeting because it would be our last visit for awhile as our family will be traveling.
Image found Pinterest
As I pulled in to wait for my friends arrival, I noticed across the parking lot another car with a lady getting out of the drivers front seat to the back seat.  I watched in disbelief as I saw ongoing arms flailing. Both from her and what I gathered was a child.

This seemed like an episode from “What would you do?”  It’s the new show where the actors portray a real life situation to see how people react. (I actually can’t watch it. Every time I’ve seen a commercial for it, it’s so disturbing I have to change the channel.)

Watching across the parking lot, I questioned what should I do?  Maybe it would soon be over.  Two different people walked by, they looked and even stared, but they didn’t do anything. Why should I?   Maybe it is a domestic violence thing…

Finally, I decided, it didn’t matter how they reacted to me, I needed to do the right thing (as Tammy encouraged us in a previous post.)  When I opened my car door, I could hear the child.  As I approached the lady's opened car doors,  I spoke to her.

 “Can I help?”  was all I knew to ask. The lady told me she was the mom of this child with developmental delays and his current medication needed to be adjusted. He had been throwing severe tantrums over the last week.  The sweet mother had several “nicks” where her son had slugged her.

I began speaking to the boy. He immediately became calm.  His speech was limited, but he seemed to understand my questions.  He is ten years old.  With the help of his mother, he told me his name and where he went to school. Just talking to him distracted him from the full on tantrum he was in the middle of.

Galations 6:2 tells us to bear one another’s burdens.  I remember a post where Kate encouraged us not to judge other mommies.  I never felt like there was blame to be given or someone to be judged.  It ached my heart to see this struggle.  I was burdened and wanted to help bear the burden

Lets pray we will be on the lookout for times when we can help carry the burdens of other moms.  These Moms could be your dearest friends or those from church or a mom you had never met before.  Maybe your meeting will come in a grocery store line, in a park or even in a parking lot.

Sweet Heavenly Father, I can’t get Lynn and her son out of my mind.  Lord help her.  Strengthen her.  Give her a desire to find you above a solution to how to care for her son   Provide those who can help carry the burden of raising this little guy.  Thank you we can trust you to bear the burden of any You have allowed to be sifted through your divine fingers.







           


3 comments:

  1. Many good points to learn from in this story! Heartbreaking, thank you for doing the right thing Joannie and for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so touching, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete