Monday, April 9, 2012

The Father's Way

“For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45 (NIV)

It was a normal, ordinary day at track practice. I was in college going over a new hurdle workout with my coach when the most unexpected thing happened…I slammed into a hurdle, flipped upside down in the air, caught myself on the way down with my left hand, and broke my left wrist. I was shocked. I was hurt. I had surgery and went through extensive physical therapy. In fact, I still have a titanium screw in my wrist and little scar as a reminder.

BUT the thing I remember the most is that God taught me two very important lessons:

1. The power of service in the life of a believer
2. How to ask for help

I will never forget how one of my friends (not even one I would have considerrd a “best friend”), stepped up and served me during that time. She was incredibly strong in her walk with the Lord, she was fun, and she was busy. She volunteered a lot with Athletes in Action/Fellowship of Christian Athletes and she was on our college soccer team. Yet, after I had surgery, she drove out of her way to pick me up and take me to class and take me back home. She even stayed at my house a few times and helped me with little things like putting my hair up in a pony tail. Looking back she acted like so much more than a great friend; she showed me the love of Christ. She showed me faith in action.

The second concept, asking for help, was also a novel idea to me. I had always been pretty self-sufficient and independent (or so I thought), but God was teaching me that I needed the body of believers. I could not do everything on my own, and I needed to ask for help. We are blessed and allow others to be a blessing when we simply learn to ask for and accept help. There are no extra points for doing everything on your own. In fact, God’s word makes it very clear that we can do nothing apart from Him (John 15:5). Through this injury, God was teaching me to that I was not a self-made girl. Everything good that I had done was with his help and the help of others…whether I had realized that before or not.

So, in what ways can you put action to your faith and serve those in your sphere of influence? In what area of your life can you experience the beauty of the body of faith by asking for help?

Heavenly Father,
Everything begins and ends with you. You are our light-bearer. You are our rock. You are the source of our salvation. You are the Creator of the entire world, yet you served us. You sent your son, Jesus, to model you for us, and he served. He even washed the dirty, sandy-laden feet of his disciples. Please help us to follow in your ways and to serve others in a way that truly pleases you. And God in those times when we are worn out, please help us to humble ourselves and ask for help so that we can be blessed by the body of believers. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment